Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson Ultrachrome K3 Inks-Now made in China!

Epson Ultrachrome K3 Inks-Now made in China!

Just received a new batch of inks for my 7800 and the packaging has changed to a more environmetally friendly recycled cardboard. Nice move on Epsons part. Then I open the first package and notice the cartidges are now white instead of gray. O.K. Not really sure why they would change this. The plastic does feel somewhat thinner (i.e. cheaper), not that this should really make any difference. Then I check the expiry date on the top of the cartridge and it now says Made in China But the price is the same. C'mon Epson, if your going to start manufacturing your inks in China, at least pass along some of the savings to your loyal customers. I really hope the QC is the same as when they were manufactured in Japan. I typically reprofile my paper when I change ink, but honestly the Epson inks have been so good from batch to batch that I found I was wasting my time. Hopefully that quality has continued.

Re: Epson Ultrachrome K3 Inks-Now made in China!

Are you absolutely sure that you purchased Epson brand ink? Purchased from a reputable distributor such as Digital Art Suppliers, that Epson could take to court.

I have bought inks for lesser Epson desktops, with made in China on the package and a hologram sticker, from local Office store that caused printer failure. Epson wouldn’t admit “bogus” inks on the market, but they gave me a replacement printer (desktop) and new ink carts. This was a $100 desktop, not a $5K pro printer.

This report makes me nervous. I’ll be asking my hi-end ink supplier (Epson 9600).

I buy my inks from Vistek in Toronto. They are a pro level shop and the largest dealer in Canada. Epson also regularly hosts seminars at Vistek on their printing technology and inkjet printing in general, so i doubt Vistek is going to import third party inks branded as Epson. The box and cartridge both say Genuine Epson Ink, albeit the part number has changed from the original cartridges manufactured in Japan.

O.K. This is odd. I just went to the Epson US and Canada websites, and the product numbers for the 7800 inks on the websites do not match the product numbers on the cartridges. Now I'm concerned......Oh yeah, and the Epson store in the US is almost completely out of stock on all 110mL cartridges. Is this because the Japan facility could not keep up with demand and so they opened a second manufacturing facility in China????? Anyone on this forum with links to Epson who can find out what is going on?

So, is everything made in China bad?

If Epson wants to open a plant in China they can.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

So, is everything made in China bad?
    Not at all. Just want to make sure these are really Epson inks and not third party. The disparity in Part Number between the cartridges and Epson's website is a bit unsettling.

Touched based with Gary Goldberg at Vistek today and he confirmed that the inks for Epson are now manufactured in China. As of yet, he has not had a single complaint from a very large customer base. The new part numbers have simply not yet been updated on Epson's websites.

I know epson is based here in southern california but do they make anything here? Where do you guys send your giant $5k printers when something goes wrong?

vinny

They have been for quite some time. The first lot I got was mid last year. They work the same as the original batches in my experience.

As to Epson passing on any savings to us, how likely do you think this is? :-).

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Not at all. Just want to make sure these are really Epson inks and not third party. The disparity in Part Number between the cartridges and Epson's website is a bit unsettling.
    Please don't tell me you buy Epson ink directly from Epson. The are much cheaper sources.

Don Bryant
    Last edited by D. Bryant; 20-Mar-2008 at 18:46. Reason: typo