Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slot processor as a space saver

Slot processor as a space saver

In about two months I will need to print a good deal of 20x24 prints. The darkroom I am using is very small and I have had to get very creative when it comes to space but setting up and breaking down (a must since I am not the only user) is very time consuming, so...
    Has anyone ever tried to build a slot-type "processor" like an archival print washer but with fewer slots and each isolated from the rest? I know about the Nova processors but the price would be prohibitive, especially with shipping from the UK.
    I imagine such an animal for two fixing baths and another one for Permawash/Selenium. The first issue that comes to mind is agitation of the prints.
    Have some coffee and discuss amongst yourselves... and please report back...

Re: Slot processor as a space saver

Some people just use a single tray and pour the different chemicals in/out.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Your best bet might be to at Craigslist for any neglectful fish owner.

The fish tanks make brillant set up tanks, with the bonus of a fluid filtration system and temperature control.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    Your best bet might be to at Craigslist for any neglectful fish owner.

The fish tanks make brillant set up tanks, with the bonus of a fluid filtration system and temperature control.
    Somewhere on the innernet, I saw someone make it from fishtank. How the guy moved it around, I don't know. I don't know how he drained it either. And what would you use as a paper holder? Too bad there isn't a US dealer anymore. Perhaps some folks on apug can get together and create an LLC and....wait a second, that sounds like a good idea!

I like the 1 tray solution for large prints. Seems easier and cheaper. I use that method for alt-printing.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Somewhere on the innernet, I saw someone make it from fishtank. How the guy moved it around, I don't know.
    Either telekinesis or biceps power.

I don't know how he drained it either

The ladle scoop method (laborious) or suction pump approach (a little more expensive)

And what would you use as a paper holder?
    You've not tried it this way then?

Coat hanger wire, outstretched - with weights on either end of the fishtank. Nova slot clips can hang from these.

Too bad there isn't a US dealer anymore.
    For fishtanks??

Another option is a print drum. I've got one for 20x24", so they're out there.

If you DIY it then the Nova slot clips could do the job of holding the print. One will hold a 12x16 fibre print easily (the largest Nova slot thingy I have - though two are sometimes needed for stability when lifting a floppy fibre print out of the slot) so two would probably hold a wet 20x24 - but a rigid holder for three in a row would probably be safer... For agitation, I just move the print up/down every 4-5 seconds. The Nova slots have a waffle pattern to stop the print sticking - no idea how necessary that is.

Worth trying the single-tray idea I suspect. One tray and three large jugs = a lot cheaper too!

Good luck, Bob.

I've been very happy with my Nova 12x16" Monochrome 3 slot model.

Before I bought it I thought it seemed expensive for something I could make myself. Well the thing is I couldn't have made anything nearly this effective myself. The thought that has gone into the design and manufacture of these units makes them worth the price. Maybe a used unit can be found?

I have tested the effectiveness of agitating the print with the Nova print clip and have found it produces much more even development than tray processing if both methods are used continuously but gently.

There are some disadvantages to using a vertical processor; you can't rub the print or use warm water to effect local development control, they probably aren't appropriate for toning baths, they are best used kept full and replenished rather than emptied and refilled often and (importantly for you) the larger the paper size the more difficult it becomes to handle when vertical. I'd be very interested to know if anyone has used one to process 20x24" paper.

I need two sessions when using a slot processor:
    1. Development, stop, fix, wash.
    2. 2nd fix, tone, wash.
    The second session uses trays instead of the slot processor.

Good luck,
    Matt.

Google "Dev-Tec 200A"

A 20x24 drum processor for $100, add a motor for another $60.

Years ago I worked in a commercial lab that used to print murals. They had "trays" made from 1/2 of an 8" or 10" PVC pipe. There were caps on both ends and a smaller 1/2" pipe set below the level of the edge of the large pipe, running lengthwise. To process these large pieces of paper you would fill the tray to the level of the smaller pipe then roll the print up and stick one edge of the print into the tray under the smaller pipe (this kept the print under the chemical). Take hold of the edge as it came out of the chemical and roll it up on the other side. You would continue to slide/roll/unroll the paper back and forth through the chemical for the alloted time. With those large prints 24" x up to 8 feet 2 of us would work with each piece of the mural. I'm not sure this would be easy with one person but you may be able to adapt the idea of a narrow tray to work. We were printing on RC papers which do seem to be more flexible than most FB papers, so that may or may not affect you.