Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenswork will no longer be found at newstands.

Re: Lenswork will no longer be found at newstands.

My statement was not to start yet another digital vs. traditional debate, which will never be won and no side will ever understand the other's. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and their personal preferences, but a magazine like LW's has been around for 10 years and has published hundreds of photographers who might not have ever gotten a chance to be seen. If you don't want to buy LW because they publish photographers who use digital capture, fine, don't buy it (you won't be able to buy ANY of the magazines out there, because they ALL accept and publish digital) but don't come on here and act like a 12 year old about it. It added absolutely nothing valuable to the conversation whatsoever. Honestly, if photographers are spending thousands of dollars a year on film, chemicals, paper, cameras, etc. they have enough money to subscribe to ALL of the magazines that support their hobby or profession. That's Aperture, B&W, Blindspot, Camera Arts, Eyemazing, Focus, Lenswork, View Camera and so on. Help support the magazines that support your community. The magazine is extremely tough, but when you have people who you are supporting through your business endevour, come on here and act like Turner did, it's really disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    My statement was not to start yet another digital vs. traditional debate, which will never be won and no side will ever understand the other's. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and their personal preferences, but a magazine like LW's has been around for 10 years and has published hundreds of photographers who might not have ever gotten a chance to be seen. If you don't want to buy LW because they publish photographers who use digital capture, fine, don't buy it (you won't be able to buy ANY of the magazines out there, because they ALL accept and publish digital) but don't come on here and act like a 12 year old about it. It added absolutely nothing valuable to the conversation whatsoever. Honestly, if photographers are spending thousands of dollars a year on film, chemicals, paper, cameras, etc. they have enough money to subscribe to ALL of the magazines that support their hobby or profession. That's Aperture, B&W, Blindspot, Camera Arts, Eyemazing, Focus, Lenswork, View Camera and so on. Help support the magazines that support your community. The magazine is extremely tough, but when you have people who you are supporting through your business endevour, come on here and act like Turner did, it's really disheartening.
    Get a grip of your self David - it's a business - if it's so tough get out of it. This is a discussion forum where people are entitled to their opinions - especially when they pertain to large format photography. I personally don't agree with Turner's point of view, but he's entitled to it and should be allowed to express it. This is not the Focus Magazine editorial where David gets to decide what gets said.

I took the opportunity of this announcement to subscribe. I like the publication and think it's excellent quality.

BTW, magazines are in business to support their owners - they may go about that by appearing to support the "community" - they don't. They support their owners. Plain and simple - don't try so hard to be deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    Honestly, if photographers are spending thousands of dollars a year on film, chemicals, paper, cameras, etc. they have enough money to subscribe to ALL of the magazines that support their hobby or profession. That's Aperture, B&W, Blindspot, Camera Arts, Eyemazing, Focus, Lenswork, View Camera and so on. Help support the magazines that support your community. The magazine is extremely tough, but when you have people who you are supporting through your business endevour, come on here and act like Turner did, it's really disheartening.
    I like the sentiment but it's your logic that's disheartening. 90% of my disposable income goes to buying film and printing supplies. I wish I could afford to subscribe to them.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    I took the opportunity of this announcement to subscribe. I like the publication and think it's excellent quality.
    It's one of the best magazines on the subject IMO. I've seen some incredible work that I would have never seen without it.

I just received notification of the next Lenswork #76, looked at who the photographers were, at the contents of articles and decided to pass. Just as I would do in a book retailer. I applaud Brooks and his marketing. I still have the choice to choose which issue I wish to read. When he does have a issue I want to read I will buy then.
    As to having extra funds to support all photographic media. I don't have the funds and would rather buy paper, film and all the other items to support my photography.

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I have discussed this issue on another forum, and was actually considering subscribing to the magazine, but just couldn't get past the digital content, so this wasn't just a flippant remark.
    Robert: can you please divulge your printing process? Do you print optically on Fuji Crystal Archive? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Nonsense. Photography is unlike any other type of art, in that it is, and always has been bound to piece of equipment. You may only be interested in the final result, but I can guarantee there are many, many, photographers who don't feel the process can be separated from the result. Saying that darkroom work, or the actual picture taking process is akin to using oil or watercolors is insulting in that respect, to that group.
    This is exactly what I mean. Here you have a technition that thinks the process of photography is art. This is a craft a manual craft no less that requires special tools and processes. Like painting a wall, some people can do it better than others, but it still is just a craft. Is the better wall painter an artist? Art is what others percieve it to be. It is an end result. The process is just craft.

I know that I'm jaded by owning a commercial a lab for over 30 years, but when I see some of this art that is displayed here, the first thing I look at is the craftsmenship of the piece. I know too that scanning and getting it to the web are issues too, but I have to say that most of this stuff wouldn't get a passing grade for the lab work in a beginning VCT class. This detracts from the piece, and then try to pass it off as art is what is insulting to both the craftsman and artist.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Artfully crafted?

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    Artfully crafted?
    What is this concept? Is this where you are processing a print in a tray and someone accidentaly turns on the light in the middle of the process and flashes the image and solarizes it and now we discovered something new and call this art?
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    What is this concept? Is this where you are processing a print in a tray and someone accidentaly turns on the light in the middle of the process and flashes the image and solarizes it and now we discovered something new and call this art?
    No, that's merely Sabatier effect.