Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lenswork will no longer be found at newstands.

Michael E. Gordon

Re: Lenswork will no longer be found at newstands.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I really don't understand what your problem is. I was simply making a statement as to what some people feel, nothing more, nothing less.

I just find it rather ironic that someone can be on an analog high horse while printing digitally.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castles View Post
    Isn't that the truth Don...not sure why anyone cares who uses what as long as 1 - they have mastered the process and 2 - it fits their vision.
    I'm not even sure 1 and 2 are required, certainly if you choose to represent that in your work they are.

I am reminded of a female travel companion who knows no more than how to operate her Point and Shoot and just barely. Yet in her emails she will include several images from her travels and inevitably one of these images will be quite good. How can she do that if she has NO process whatsoever or perhaps should I say the most minimal process one could ever imagine?

Sometimes I see work from an artist with a LOT of experience and it does nothing for me. Does this mean I am daft or is art truly subjective, a personal interpretation unique to the individual?
    Last edited by jetcode; 27-Apr-2008 at 10:51.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Who really cares what Adams or Weston would think.

Don Bryant
    Sheesh- no need to be so hostile. I was just wondering. They do happen to be a couple of masters many people aspire towards. I think it would be interesting to see what they would do with modern techniques- regardless of whether the final outcome would be "better" or not. This is a "discussion" forum, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    I'm not even sure 1 and 2 are required, certainly if you choose to represent that in your work they are.

I am reminded of a female travel companion who knows no more than how to operate her Point and Shoot and just barely. Yet in her emails she will include several images from her travels and inevitably one of these images will be quite good. How can she do that if she has NO process whatsoever or perhaps should I say the most minimal process one could ever imagine?

Sometimes I see work from an artist with a LOT of experience and it does nothing for me. Does this mean I am daft or is art truly subjective, a personal interpretation unique to the individual?
    Would agree completely Joe. It's like one's choice in music or food. Some will go on forever about how great something is, and when given the chance we could wonder what all the noise is about. It's also, what makes it all so great - we don't have to like the same things and get to try new things just because we can - and of course trying something and liking it are two different things.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    IMO if it exists on paper (or electronically) it is a reproduction unless the paper is the negative and print. Pepper #30 is a printed reproduction. It was produced by hand during a transfer of light through the neg onto paper. The paper was uncommitted until reproduction took place.
    That's a bunch of bull...talk about nit-picking

Selling work at airports is a great idea. People go into duty free bored and in the mind frame that they are saving money eventhough the old adage 'Duty free but not profit free' is so very very true. If you manage to get your work viewed for sale in an enviroment where thousands of people pass every day and not only during the day but 24 hours - personally I would kill for such an opportunity. Not that I could even begin to think of being able to afford the rent!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    I just find it rather ironic that someone can be on an analog high horse while printing digitally.
    Here is what I said: "Nonsense. Photography is unlike any other type of art, in that it is, and always has been bound to piece of equipment. You may only be interested in the final result, but I can guarantee there are many, many, photographers who don't feel the process can be separated from the result. Saying that darkroom work, or the actual picture taking process is akin to using oil or watercolors is insulting in that respect, to that group."

This was a generic statement, nothing more. That is why I suggested you don't read into things.

FWIW, this thread is about B&W. While I love B&W like the next man, I don't do B&W. In fact, I haven't shot B&W in years. I only do color. And .... I'm a landscape photographer, not a printer. I have NO interest whatsovever in the printing process. That does not presuppose that I don't have any understanding of what traditional photographers feel, which is what I was addressing.

Here is what I said: "Nonsense. Photography is unlike any other type of art, in that it is, and always has been bound to piece of equipment. You may only be interested in the final result, but I can guarantee there are many, many, photographers who don't feel the process can be separated from the result. Saying that darkroom work, or the actual picture taking process is akin to using oil or watercolors is insulting in that respect, to that group."

This was a generic statement, nothing more. That is why I suggested you don't read into things.

FWIW, this thread is about B&W. While I love B&W like the next man, I don't do B&W. In fact, I haven't shot B&W in years. I only do color. And .... I'm a landscape photographer, not a printer. I have NO interest whatsovever in the printing process. That does not presuppose that I don't have any understanding of what traditional photographers feel, which is what I was addressing.

Actually, this thread is about Lenswork... not B&W.

...Sorry...

Michael E. Gordon

And .... I'm a landscape photographer, not a printer. I have NO interest whatsovever in the printing process. That does not presuppose that I don't have any understanding of what traditional photographers feel, which is what I was addressing.
    Fine, Robert, but you still haven't answered the question.

Wasn't it you that said earlier in this thread "I recently bought what, will probably be my last issue of Lenswork. It is a fine magazine, but there is just too much digital content in it for me to subscribe."

Back to my point: why is it OK to print digitally while professing analog capture dogma? I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    Fine, Robert, but you still haven't answered the question.

Wasn't it you that said earlier in this thread "I recently bought what, will probably be my last issue of Lenswork. It is a fine magazine, but there is just too much digital content in it for me to subscribe."

Back to my point: why is it OK to print digitally while professing analog capture dogma? I don't get it
    I hope you're not waiting for an answer to that one.....