Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: March/April View Camera Magazine out?

Re: March/April View Camera Magazine out?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    ! I simply stopped subscribing two years ago. I really can't imagine how satisfying it must be for readers to pay good money to look at mistakes either...
    It's amazing how some people are armchair magazine publishers. They think it's so simple to put out a magazine... *sigh*

! I simply stopped subscribing two years ago. I really can't imagine how satisfying it must be for readers to pay good money to look at mistakes either...
    And I just subscribed. The last I heard Steve isn't perfect, but then again, neither am I. I appreciate what he does, and if the occasional error pops through, I have no problem with it. Steve has been honest, open and up front about the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    It's amazing how some people are armchair magazine publishers. They think it's so simple to put out a magazine... *sigh*
    I thought you were "done" on this forum?

BTW, I have no ambition to be a publisher, but I do spend a fair amount of money on photographic materials and publications - i.e. I'm a consumer. As a publisher, you should listen to what really p****s customers off instead of making lame comments. I can't fathom endless mistakes nor the endless excuses for them. My solution - I simply don't buy it anymore. Your magazine - I purchased it until the debacle which you had with Michael Gordon's portfolio and your subsequent pathetic behaviour on this forum. I can assure you that there is no chance of me ever spending a dime on any venture related to your endeavours again.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    And I just subscribed. The last I heard Steve isn't perfect, but then again, neither am I. I appreciate what he does, and if the occasional error pops through, I have no problem with it. Steve has been honest, open and up front about the magazine.
    Robert

I'm glad you like it and believe it's worthwhile - thousands of people do. They can't all be wrong? I choose to buy/not to buy something based on my own criteria. I'd expect that everyone else has their own and that they differ to mine... Fortunately, there is a magazine which caters to a particular market in which we all have a very keen interest and we at least have a choice.

Now that Picker's newsletters are gone, I'd be willing to bet that more than a few folks got interested in LF photography due to View Camera. I can see it now, some soul that used to be hooked on photography as a student is in a Barnes & Noble and spots View Camera, decides to take a look and rekindles an old passion. Hell, I had put all of my LF gear up in the attic when the children were born and got it all back out (after 10 years) after having an issue of View Camera re-light the old LF photography fires. That was about 5 years ago and the amount of $$ I've dropped on LF equipment, film, chemicals and paper could have purchased a very nice automobile.

So if View Camera has a similar impact on perhaps 50 people a year, then there are 50 more folks that help support our hobby/passion/vocation. That, to me, seems like reason enough to support View Camera.

Yeah, there is always room for improvement and we all have such diverse interests that you will never keep us all happy, but keep up the good work.

Count me as a happy subscriber...

I thought you were "done" on this forum?

BTW, I have no ambition to be a publisher, but I do spend a fair amount of money on photographic materials and publications - i.e. I'm a consumer. As a publisher, you should listen to what really p****s customers off instead of making lame comments. I can't fathom endless mistakes nor the endless excuses for them. My solution - I simply don't buy it anymore. Your magazine - I purchased it until the debacle which you had with Michael Gordon's portfolio and your subsequent pathetic behaviour on this forum. I can assure you that there is no chance of me ever spending a dime on any venture related to your endeavours again.
    Don, I have no need to explain myself to you. You have spent countless hours on this forum bashing me and a lot of other people. Your only posts in this thread have been negative and you seem be to in the vast minority of people. You seem to be a very negative person and seem to be on the lookout for any place you can insert your negative opinion into. I have no idea what goes on in your personal life, but using this forum as a place to insert your negativity is certainly telling. I would re-evaluate your use of this forum to be so negative all the time.

It's Springtime, Don. Go out and enjoy all of the beautiful things this world has to offer us. Life is too short to be focused on negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    Don, I have no need to explain myself to you. You have spent countless hours on this forum bashing me and a lot of other people. Your only posts in this thread have been negative and you seem be to in the vast minority of people. You seem to be a very negative person and seem to be on the lookout for any place you can insert your negative opinion into. I have no idea what goes on in your personal life, but using this forum as a place to insert your negativity is certainly telling. I would re-evaluate your use of this forum to be so negative all the time.

It's Springtime, Don. Go out and enjoy all of the beautiful things this world has to offer us. Life is too short to be focused on negativity.
    Get a life... If you do a little reading, you'll notice that I usually make postings related to large format photography - something you clearly know nothing about. Bizarrely, this is a large format photography forum - not a magazine publisher's forum (Steve is, unlike yourself, a very knowledgable LF photographer/instructor) nor a right wing political diatribe forum. So jump back in your box.

I look forward to the next issue...

Vaughn

I enjoy every issue. I have learned much, and it has helped me improve my photography. I can tollerate the occasional typo.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have longstanding subscriptions to View Camera and Lenswork, and as of today, a new one to Focus. All three are excellent investments in keeping up with what's going on in photography and art today, and their arrival in my mailbox always makes that day seem a little brighter. My compliments and appreciation to all three publishers.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."