Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E & H. T. Anthony & Co camera - How do I take a photograph with it?

E & H. T. Anthony & Co camera - How do I take a photograph with it?

Hello,

This is an E & H. T. Anthony & Co camera from the late 1800s. It belonged to my Great-Great Grandfather, who was a professional photographer. I have no experience in old photography and I'm looking for some help on how to take a photograph with it. After reading through this forum, I'm sure it's possible and I was hoping that someone might point me in the right direction on its operation. Can dry plates still be obtained somewhere or is some other medium available? How are the plates put into the camera? Also, you'll notice from the pictures that I don't have it extended the full way. Is there anything I can apply to soften the bellows without damaging its historic (and sentimental) value?

Thank you,
    David

Big Negs Rock!

Re: E & H. T. Anthony & Co camera - How do I take a photograph with it?

Hello David,

You may need to have the bellows replaced. Anything you do to them to soften them up won't get rid of any light leaks that may be there. You can put a low wattage bare light bulb inside the bellows and look for any bright spots -- i.e., light leaks.

Also, to get advice from the group, you might want to give us any serial numbers, names on the lens or camera, and anything else you can find. There are some incredibly knowledgeable folks on the forum. Finally, you should give us the measurements of the film holder you have photographed on the far right thumbnail.

BTW, it definitely can be used to make wonderful photos.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Hi David,
    It is a pretty simple portrait camera. Can't tell the format size from the photo's, but most likely 8X10 or 11x14.

Where are you located? Perhaps a nearby list member would give a few moments to look at the camera and provide some instruction. You will need film, functioning film holder, something to serve as a dark cloth and a way to make the bellows light tight, if they are not.

Cheers,
    Geary

Quote Originally Posted by worlda02 View Post
    I have no experience in old photography and I'm looking for some help on how to take a photograph with it. After reading through this forum, I'm sure it's possible and I was hoping that someone might point me in the right direction on its operation.
    Check out the links on the main page for some basic pointers. It appears that your lens does not have an internal shutter you you will eventually need to use something like a hat or lens cap as a substitute.

Can dry plates still be obtained somewhere or is some other medium available? How are the plates put into the camera?
    to my knowledge, dry plates haven't been made for a while now. You might be able to get film holders that fit your camera and will allow you to use modern film.

How big is the piece of glass in the back? It would be about the same size as the film you would use.

You should be able to look through the camera now and get a sens of what it is like to use. Trying point the camera out a window and remove the lens cap (if any.) Turn the wheel on the lens so the biggest hole is in the center of the lens. Go to the rear of the camera and slide the back forward and backwards until you get a good image on the glass. It might help to have a dark blanket or something over the back of the camera and your head to block out the surrounding light. The image will be upside down and backwards.

-Darren

David, there is an interesting site about Anthony cameras http://www.fiberq.com/cam/anth.htm

Mark,

I took your advice and checked for bright spots - there are some pinhole leaks.

The brass plate on the front says "E & H. T. Anthony & Co, 591 Broadway, New York" There's a number engraved into the wood on the top, front and center, which says "232" Around the outside of the lens, it says "single 4 achromatic" There are 4 patent numbers engraved into the base part of the camera (located at the area behind the glass plate - in the back) They read, "PAT. NOV. 11. 84" "PAT. MAY 18. 1886" "PAT. FEB 20. 88" "PAT MCH. 27. 1888" On the film holder, it says "E & H. T. Anthony & Co" on one side and "ZEPHYR HOLDER" on the other. That's all the numbers/markings I could find - along with a small piece of paper that looks like it has something to do with focusing (which I've attached to this message).

The measurements of the film holder are 8x10.

Geary,

What kind of film does it take and where can I purchase it? Will the 8x10 film holder work? Also, how exactly does the film holder work? Is it supposed to fit into the camera somehow? I'm in Pennsylvania - around Gettysburg.

Darren,

What is an internal shutter and what does it do? There is a lens cap on the lens.

The size of the glass is 8x10 and there are 3 sets of colored lines on the glass, marking out 5x7 (and 7x5) and 4x5.

And I looked through the glass with the darkcloth overtop - that is neat!

Peter,

I saw the website, but thanks for the link - it really has a lot of information on the history of the camera.

Thank you to everyone for the replies! I also attached a closeup picture of the round brass piece on the side of the camera - it looks like it's threaded. Does anyone know what this is for?

It's a beauty. It looks like you have plate holders and not film holders. Pull one of the slides out and take a picture of the inside of the holder for us. If so you'll want to buy a regular film holder to begin with. Where are you located? Also, if you turn the 2 brass tabs at the bottom of the lens board and remove it and the lens from the camera, is there anything behind the lens? Many of these old cameras were fitted with a "Packard" shutter which is very useable for your exposures even today. I do a lot of work with these old cameras. Have a look at my web pages when you have some time. E & H T Anthony became Anthony and Scovil which made it all the way into the 1960's as ANSCO. You'll be able to make stunning pictures with that old camera.

Big Negs Rock!

David,

You're in luck! 8x10 film is sold and used by many of us. The paper is probably a notation about how far a ring is turned for the resulting F/Stop. You'll have to check if the film plane is the same as the Ground Glass plane. If it is, you should be able (with a few modifications perhaps) to get some "modern" 8x10 film holders and start being digitally deficient and disinclined. ;-)
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Thanks again to everyone! Here are some more photographs. The one is, I'm guessing, a Packard shutter. I didn't realize what it was until Jim's post (and a Google search) (Thanks Jim!) I don't know, though, if it goes to this camera. The shutter is 9" wide and 7 1/4" high. The other pictures are of the camera without the lens and the film holder - there's some kind of paper inside the holder and it looks the same when either side is opened.

Looks like perhaps there was a glass plate still in the holder. The emulsion on the plate could very well have a texture like paper. If there are other plate holders there and they say exposed, do not open them. There could be ancient treasure in there waiting for someone to carefully develop them after all this time. On the one that is open, it's ok to pull the slide all the way out I think. Then the glass plate would have one end exposed that you push against a spring at the other end. The spring lets one end come free, then you can lift the whole plate out. That shutter is earlier than the common Packard but could very well be useable with a cleaning.