Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I loathe Kodak Tech Pan film......

Re: Why I loathe Kodak Tech Pan film......

Rodinal at high dilution + insufficient agitation = uneven development with Tech Pan.

Used per the Kodak guidelines it works pretty well, but I've fallen out of love with it over time because it's a dust magnet.

I used some 35mm TP many years ago, before I saw the light (that is, large format!). Developers were either Technidol LC or Tetenal Neofin doku. No problems with sprocket holes or other uneven development when using continuous inversion for agitation (similar to the Martini shaker concept mentioned before). I never really cared for its tonal characteristics, and the shoulder was rather abrupt in both developers, so highlight separation was problematic if one was not really careful with exposure.

Some of my best images are on Tech Pan. I used it mostly for cityscapes, but I used it for portraits when I wanted to achieve a harsher look (for humorous portrats). But, it's all moot now, since it's hit the history books. I've been shooting Efke PL25 instead.

--Gary

I have an important portrait waiting for me on a roll of 120 TP. I took it last summer of a friend who will be gone by next summer. It was a perfect moment and I knew I wouldn't have another chance, and the only camera I had with me was my Minolta Autocord, and all the normal Agfa 100 was used up so I did it on tech pan. I've been sitting on that roll and I really need to get some confidence up so I don't booger up that one important pic.

Darkcloth Fumbler

so i've finally scanned that first roll of 35mm tech pan (dev'ed in technidol in a normal small tank, at 86° at the recommended time for that temperature). film was host at asa 50, and i used a fill flash TTL at -1.7 to fill in the shadows (and thus keep my contrast at bay). in shots with more background, it was evident that the shadows were blocking up a little, and could have possibly used a lower film speed. but i won't be experimenting as i've only got for or five rolls of this.

here's a sample. and no it's not LF, but i didn't start this OT small/medium format thread.

- matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.