Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking LF gear as baggage

Glenn Mellen

Re: Checking LF gear as baggage

Eddie - No, no models were shipped in the Pelican cases... and no lighting systems except for several flash heads. One case weighed about 100-lbs, another 75-lbs, the large tripod bag about 35-lbs and incurred an oversized charge. Plus insurance charges were also high. After incurring such a big bill, in the future I'll travel MUCH lighter.

Oh... my brother just returned from England. Said the European airlines not only makes you adhere to size standards for carry-ons but also weight (17-lbs as I recall he said). And... security in England for the return trip refused to hand inspect... they insisted his film go through the scanners.

I have checked my LF gear many times, with many airlines, on many continents. I need most of my carry-on space for quickloads.

The camera gear is in Pelican cases, and those are stuffed into a backpack. I have had no problems with equipment damage, although the pack and cases have taken a beating.

All of the gear is insured with "professional camera insurance" which is available to NANPA members (North American Nature Photographers Association). If you are considering checking gear, you should make certain that you have insurance to cover for theft or damage. Don't assume that your renter's/homeowner's insurance, airline, traveler's insurance, etc. covers you. Verify that you have coverage.

Eric Woodbury

I worked for a company that routinely shipped very expensive electronic equipment by carriers such as FedX, UPS, etc. to shows and demonstrations. It was too much equipment to carrier on or check with an airline. One time on a return trip, all the equipment was left in the lobby of the hotel to be picked up by the shipper while the sales force checked out to catch flights home. After everybody got home and the equipment didn't, some calls were made. The shipper said they had not picked it up and the hotel said that it had been picked up.

Kiss it goodbye. About $75k.

When I travel, I carry cameras and lens and film. Sometimes the extra holders get preshipped or packed in luggage.

Be careful.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I traveled with my 4x5 in Pelican cases to Trinidad/tobago, Brasil and Argentina with no problem. When I moved to Mexico (afte 9/11) I put all of my cameras in the cases and checked them in. They arrived safe, my only recommendation would be to buy locks and put them on the cases, it is what I did and worked for me.

If you have more than one case, get ready to charge the client if you can. I always have at least two checked bags for shoots that require travel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/aviation/air...osewhooverpack

Pelican cases are nice, but they can be heavy while empty let alone full. Most airlines won't carry anything over 75lbs per checked bag. No amount of money will change their mind and you can't pay for excess weight over 75 lbs. I carry a small hand held scale to make sure my cases are not too heavy. A over weight baggage surprise at the desk is not fun and throwing away lighting cables to get your weight down is a real downer.

By the way, I have never had anything broken. I use standard luggage and add my own padding as needed. I prefer standard Travelpro bags because the sides are armored like the Lightware cases, but weigh less empty.

I only carry on breakable items - lenses, bodies, film. I check some pretty expensive stuff - ballheads, dynalites, tripods, etc. No losses or busted stuff yet.

By the way, if you travel with battery packs or anything that could resemble an explosive, I've been told by a good friend who works for the TSA to place it on top so they can check it easily during an inspection. Often a battery pack is the only item they see on the x-ray that is unusual, so placing it on top will keep them from totally unpacking your bag and potentially breaking something. Also, make sure the contacts are covered to prevent a fire with some types of batteries.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24187702/

I had an external HD with six months of images stolen. No notes from TSA...the airline did not cover it...I flew through Philly!!!

I hate to think what would have been taken if I had lighting, lenses or bodies checked.

That's interesting Donald. I wonder if the size of the item matters because some things slip into pockets easier. I'd rather lose all my lighting and cameras than 6 months of work. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I like Greg's suggestion of using the Travel Pro luggage in preference over the typical Lightware/Tenba/Think Tank gear because it is lighter weight and more discrete than anything photo-orientated.

http://www.travelpro.com/ - lousy Flash website but a high quality product it looks like.

Thanks

I used to travel 100% for my job. I've got some travelpro and higher end samsonite luggage that survived. I don't have any preference to one over the other, they're both nice.

I did about 170,000 airline miles in a year. It was 2 flights per week, (often in the little commuter jets where you gate check) plus some asia and europe trips. I took my dslr gear with me quite a bit and it would be fine to carry the LF gear except that I had laptops and clothes and work papers to carry.

Going this route would at least shave a couple pounds off the total weight.

My biggest concern with checking photography gear is theft. Unfortunately alot of photo gear "falls out of the bag" somewhere along the way.

Do you have ground glass protectors when packing you LF gear in pelican cases? Or placing it base plate first and GG on top would be fine?