Thread: Pasting a corrected file into a template...

Metolholic

Pasting a corrected file into a template...

I've been filling my brain with info from this forum and others in order to properly use a new Epson 7880. (Thanks for all the great info!) I've got everything pretty much down but I'm confused on one point.

I have an image file (color corrected by experts) that I'm pasting into a poster template that has a different profile. Obviously I get prompted for the following question:

Convert: Preserve color appearance
    Don't convert: Preserve color numbers

I couldn't care less about the colors of the template (it's very simple and doesn't matter), it's the image I am concerned with. Does choosing "don't convert" mean that I am keeping the color profile (color numbers) for the image I'm pasting into the template? That is what I WANT to do...

Is their an easier or better way? (Pasting the template to the image would be awkward due to size issues.) Thanks in advance.

Windows XP, Photoshop CS2, Epson 7880

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Re: Pasting a corrected file into a template...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I've been filling my brain with info from this forum and others in order to properly use a new Epson 7880. (Thanks for all the great info!) I've got everything pretty much down but I'm confused on one point.

I have an image file (color corrected by experts) that I'm pasting into a poster template that has a different profile. Obviously I get prompted for the following question:

Convert: Preserve color appearance
    Don't convert: Preserve color numbers

I couldn't care less about the colors of the template (it's very simple and doesn't matter), it's the image I am concerned with. Does choosing "don't convert" mean that I am keeping the color profile (color numbers) for the image I'm pasting into the template? That is what I WANT to do...

Is their an easier or better way? (Pasting the template to the image would be awkward due to size issues.) Thanks in advance.

Windows XP, Photoshop CS2, Epson 7880
    If you really don't care about the profile space of the template, begin by 'assign' ing the image space to the template. Then you'll easily be able to paste the image in place w/o any translation occurring.

Metolholic

Quote Originally Posted by rodney@theloughroad.com View Post
    If you really don't care about the profile space of the template, begin by 'assign' ing the image space to the template. Then you'll easily be able to paste the image in place w/o any translation occurring.
    O.K., when I choose "assign profile" in regards to the template, the choices do not include the profile of the image file I want to print. How do I "load" that profile so it becomes an option to choose? Thanks! Shawn

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    O.K., when I choose "assign profile" in regards to the template, the choices do not include the profile of the image file I want to print. How do I "load" that profile so it becomes an option to choose? Thanks! Shawn
    I can tell you how to do it on a Mac. Don't know about a PC. However the concept should be the same. Unless of course one space is CMYK and the other is RGB, then we have another issue to deal with first. Assuming that isn't the issue.....

Put the ICC profile of your rgb space in the System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder.

The profile will then show up in the list. You may have to restart PS though first.