Thread: Sharpening Post Drum Scans?

Sharpening Post Drum Scans?

Hi to all,

With regard to film scans and processing of digital files in software.
    I've recently read points made on these forums, with regard to Lightroom and Aperture and they're difficulty in handling large digital files from scans, is there not an option like in PS to allow the software to be able to process files over 200MB?

I was thinking of splashing out on one of these as well as PS upgrade to CS3 from CS,
    and adding either L/Room or Aperture with CS3 to process high res scans to process these files. If this is the case, would CS3 by itself be enough to complete the digitall processing of the images. Or is there something in L/R-Aperture that CS3 does not have and is now required in todays digital image darkrooms?

Also will the files from film scans still need sharpening as I'm thinking that sharpening is required for images made with digital capture and perhaps not with film stock scans..?

greyspecks..

Re: Sharpening Post Drum Scans?

Quote Originally Posted by greyspecks View Post
    Hi to all,

With regard to film scans and processing of digital files in software.
    I've recently read points made on these forums, with regard to Lightroom and Aperture and they're difficulty in handling large digital files from scans, is there not an option like in PS to allow the software to be able to process files over 200MB?

greyspecks..
    Perhaps you just need more memory. One of my computers is an old MAC G4 Quicksilver with an 867 mhz processor and 1.5 gig of RAM. With CS I have no problem at all processing image files of 200-300 mb, and even larger for that matter.

Sandy King

...would CS3 by itself be enough to complete the digital processing of the images?...
    You should be able to do just about anything that needs to be done with CS3. If you need something only available from some other product you can always cross that bridge when you come to it.

Also will the files from film scans still need sharpening as I'm thinking that sharpening is required for images made with digital capture and perhaps not with film stock scans..?
    Scanning film involves applying a deterministic sampling method to a stochastic medium. By definition, scanning film softens the image. It's merely a question of how much. As a result, nearly all scan files can do with some sharpening -- even drum scans can nearly always stand some capture sharpening.

Similarly, digital capture applies a deterministic sampling method to a stochastic scene. For similar reasons as above, nearly all digital captures can do with a bit of sharpening.

Bruce Watson

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Hi to all,
    is there not an option like in PS to allow the software to be able to process files over 200MB?
    Yes, there is:

http://www.neatimage.com

I've worked with these guys for years now, great product. I routinely work on files sizes in excess of 1 gig and this program can handle it. it works as a filter w/in PS, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.