Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photography & Cuba...

Glenn Mellen

Re: Large Format Photography & Cuba...

I don't believe it's illegal for a US citizen to visit Cuba... it's only illegal to spend any money there. Reason for the ban... laws banning "trading with the enemy." If the government should hear of a visitation, hearings and heavy fines can be levied (unsure about possible jail time).

With the current administration stauch supporters of "no relations with Cuba", and with an active "Homeland Security" I see little reason to take chances on such an adventure.

Perhaps since you can't spend ANY money there, the trip itself might not be so extraordinarily expensive... but... upon your return it could become a very expensive photo shoot...

but...that is absurd...right? I mean, how can anybody think that Cuba poses a threat to the US of A? How is it that they are our enemy???? Because their political - economy is communist? Is that it? I thought we, as a nation, were beyond that whole communist concern....the cold war is over.

Now, I fell like going and spending money just to expose the absurdity of it. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by anchored View Post
    I don't believe it's illegal for a US citizen to visit Cuba... it's only illegal to spend any money there. Reason for the ban... laws banning "trading with the enemy." If the government should hear of a visitation, hearings and heavy fines can be levied (unsure about possible jail time).
    Same difference, in practice. Criminal penalties for violating the sanctions range up to 10 years in prison, $1,000,000 in corporate fines, and $250,000 in individual fines.
    Civil penalties up to $55,000 per violation may also be imposed.

Yup, 50 years of sanctions and throwing our own citizens in jail ought to show 'em Cubans not to mess with the USA...or something....all the while the Chinese and Canadians and Germans are freely traveling there....

Glenn Mellen

I personally do not agree with this nation's policy on this matter, and I surely wasn't asked if it's OK to impose or to continue such restrictions. But... I for one would not be willing to "make a statement" with such possible trials and tribulations and fines. Perhaps pre-911 one might be able to easily make such a trip without being caught, but in this new-day of "Big Brother Sees All"... I'm not so sure it could be so easily pulled off.

You fellows go on without me... I'd love to see Cuba but don't think I could afford the return home from the trip.

If it comes to pass I'd certainly be interested, especially if we managed to stay away from the tourist resorts.

Landscape/Still Life

I would love it we can always hop on a boat and go from the keys... but in all honesty I think it would be a great idea so count me in for a definte...

Cuba is famous for it's fleet of old American automobiles which are kept running because of the US embargo....hmmmm, I wonder if the same applies fo old 'dorffs?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Doug Dolde

Mark Tucker has a Cuba portfolio on www.marktucker.com

Also see http://www.usacubatravel.com/restriction.htm

Wow Mark Tucker has some awesome stuff!
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Hopelessly Lost

Mark is a good friend of mine and his stuff is pretty damn good, if not LF though. We were talking about it a while back and he mentioned to me that I guess the cuban customs folks won't stamp your passport when you enter/leave the country so that the powers that be here in the states never know you went there (at least from your passport at least). Good stuff.