Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens moisture affecting internal elements caused during shipping???

Red face Lens moisture affecting internal elements caused during shipping???

I recently sent off a brand new Schneider 110XL lens from OR to Europe. It was in spotless condition when it left and it has arrived with some sort of water inside the internal part of the lens cells.

Has anyone experienced this issue before due to weather differences and somehow moisture getting into the lens??? I have seen moisture on the front of the elements before, but have never heard of it getting inside the elements.

Aside from this, what is the best thing to do at this point to help alleviate this issue or to get the lens looking new as it left here?

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by audioexcels; 5-Mar-2008 at 18:09. Reason: Attaching Photos

Re: Lens moisture affecting internal elements caused during shipping???

Pack it in a sealed ziplock with a handful of Silica Gel bags. And be patient. Not much else to do really...

Isn't that the famous fog problem?

Now that you mention it Songyun, and looking at the picture closer; it looks like fog/and/or separation. I have seen a 300mm f5.6 Symmar S with the same (?) problem, and it wasn't humidity.
    It was /between/ scemented element in the front group, and it looks very similar to this lens... I have no idea what caused it...

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Isn't that the famous fog problem?
    How does fog enter a lens? When it was shipped the glass was brand new looking. Whenever I have a lens for sale, I overexaggerate things because I am so anal about every single aspect of the lens. Most will just sell and say "excellent condition" and that's it. I will always tell the person precisely what I see and something this "blatant" is something a nearly blind person could see. It's frustrating for the person that purchased it, and equally frustrating for me because this has never happened before.

Was it brand new as in you got it from an authorized dealer or did it just seem to be brand new?

Angry Re: Lens moisture affecting internal elements caused during shipping???

Quote Originally Posted by buze View Post
    Now that you mention it Songyun, and looking at the picture closer; it looks like fog/and/or separation. I have seen a 300mm f5.6 Symmar S with the same (?) problem, and it wasn't humidity.
    It was /between/ scemented element in the front group, and it looks very similar to this lens... I have no idea what caused it...
    Was your lens described as having flawless/brand new glass and when it was received it had this effect or did this develop over time? It's very much so stressing the life out of me. From the States here, it has been very very cold, and likely travelled through extremely cold environments. As an example, I receive lenses that have moisture on them (this one was dry when it was received) due to the change of temperature during transit. But this has come right off and no fogging or effects have ever come out of it. I have actually never seen fogging in any lens that I have had in my hands and I have had about 50 or so LF lenses.

Yes - as far as I know, these lenses are designed to "breathe". I left a CF on mine a couple of years ago and condensation formed on the inside of the front element. I tried taking off the CF and leaving the lens in a warmish spot in my house but no joy. Finally I had to send the lens in to Schneider to have it taken apart and cleaned and they told me leaving a filter on a lens or using incorrect or "generic" caps was a bad idea for this very reason. Anyway, if you bought it new and can prove that, you should be able to have it sorted under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Was it brand new as in you got it from an authorized dealer or did it just seem to be brand new?
    I am the second owner and the first is Mbmarks who described it as having been mounted once onto a Tech board and then taken off the board. It was purchased from a US dealer in I believe the midwest? It is not a newer stock 110XL as if you purchased one just made this month.

I know that Schneider's lifetime warranty is not transferable beyond the original owner, but having them service and clean my lens for the same issue was not prohibitively expensive.