Thread: "Artists Lament Polaroids Latest Development" on NRP Tonight

"Artists Lament Polaroids Latest Development" on NRP Tonight

A must hear, read and look for Polaroid users.

Re: "Artists Lament Polaroids Latest Development" on NRP Tonight

NPR - National Public Radio

Thanks Darr. I think this quote from the article pretty much sums it up:

Polaroid photography is much more. It is the artistic medium of choice for artists, educators and commercial photographers who rely on Polaroid films in an abundance of creative and innovative ways.

Polaroid photography is much more. It is the artistic medium of choice for artists, educators and commercial photographers who rely on Polaroid films in an abundance of creative and innovative ways.

<Didn't read the article...> but I'd be curious to understand what kind of numbers these artists/educators and commercial photographers represent. My guess is that the number would be pretty small...certainly as far as commercial photographers go and of which I am one.

4 Years ago, I went from using $5-700 of Polaroid a MONTH to $0 virtually overnight and coinciding with the purchase of my digital back (which coincidently has generated more income for me than did my Polaroid sales). I was behind the technology curve compared to most other photographers that I know btw.

I occasionally drive by th Waltham. MA building that makes the films and its a massive operation...or was at least.

Shame to see a way of working change like this, but I've witnessed it first hand with type setters/color seperators/retouchers/professional labs,etc. The commercial/advertising end of photography has changed substantially since I started almost 30 years ago.

Sometimes i think I'll drift back into traditional film based LF photography and I've kept all of my Polaroid holders for just that scenario...I hope that someone (Fuji?) steps up to fill the void.