Thread: Schneideritis in Super Symar

Grego

Schneideritis in Super Symar

I plan to purchase the Schneider Super Symmar 110 (new). I have been told varying things regarding Schneideritis. Can someone please tell me:

- Is this still a problem with the new Schneider lenses, especially the Super Symmar?
    - Will it affect the image quality in the lens?
    - Will the warranty cover any repairs necessary?
    - Is it considered a social disease in some third world countries?

Thankee
    Grego

Doug Dolde

Re: Schneideritis in Super Symar

Mine is a couple years old and shows no signs of it. I think it's mostly on older lenses you might see it. Go for it, it's a fantastic lens.

Mine is one of the first produced and no schneidritis ... I have one older Schneider circa 1980 that has a bit of schenideritis but never had it in newer lenses.

I've not seen it in newer lenses. Schneider takes the position that it is not a defect and since it has no effect on the image they won't redo it. (Which seems a valid position, based on my use of such lenses plus common sense.) I have seen the same thing in lenses from other major makers. Great lens, by the way.

I had a discussion with Schneider on the Schneideristis last year. Over ten years ago, Schneider used the best paint in the world to build lenses, unfortunately, that kind of paint may chip off from lens barrel when it gets old. Schneider does not use that kind of paint any more, so all newer lenses should not have this problem. In general, Schneideritis does not degrade images. However, if you don't feel comfortable, you may send the lens to Schneider service department to repaint lens barrel. In my past experience, their US service department did excellent jobs.

Greg,

You won't have any problems with a bit of Schneideritis... I've had the issue in a couple of my lenses (210 Symmar, 355 G-Claron, and an old 360 Symmar) and yet, the lenses works flawlessly and produced beautiful images.

So, don't worry yourself silly in regards to the 110XL... it's a beautiful chunk of glass!. Go for it!

As for Schneideritis being considered a social disease... there are new, powerful antibiotics available for treating it these days!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I looked at a 210mm SSXL on eBay a year or more ago. The seller had had a problem with the internal paint chips. Schneider's California repair station had taken off the old paint, repainted it and given a one year warranty on the repair. I called Schneider's CA repair station, spoke to the technician, gave him the serial # from the eBay pictures and asked if the warranty was for the first owner or if it traveled with the lens. He said it traveled.

I didn't buy the lens because the price went so close to the price of a new one that buying a new one last summer from Jim at Midwest made more sense. This on the belief that Schneider had solved the earlier problem. Jim delivered at the VC conference saving Ohio sales tax and gave a fair trade in value on my 210mm HM. The 210mm HM was good for 8x10 but didn't have coverage for 7x17.

John