Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wide angle camera

Dave Karp

Re: wide angle camera

Look into a Cambo 45SF. It might work for you. Available used.

The standards will touch each other when using a bag bellows, so the short focal length should work. Has all of the movements you need.

If you want to compare in Linhof, either new or used, look into the Kardan and Technikardan. Both systems are precise enough that you should do fine with a digital back. I think the Technikardan 4x5 only works as close as about 70mm with a flat lens board, so that 38mm might be tougher, though you could use a recessed board. The Technikardan 6x9 would work better with short lenses, though you would have a tougher time getting that stitched 6x12 shots you want; you could get close to 6x12 if you use shift movements, even on the 6x9 model.

On the Kardan system, some of that line will allow your 38mm to work, and any longer lenses. There are probably more of these on the used market. These take different (bigger) lens boards than the Technika, though there are adapters.

I sort of agree with you on the PhaseOne backs, but after helping a prominent architectural photographer (Fortune 100 client level) with problems on Hasselblad/Imacon files, I think Hasselblad got something not quite right with their coating and reflectance. Long story short, Hasselblad bought back that system from that photographer. So your choice of PhaseOne is likely the best. If you were doing more fashion and lifestyle shooting, it might be worth comparing a Leaf or Sinar back, though the differences might be very subtle.

Other cameras not mentioned yet (unless I missed it) include the Cambo Wide and the Horseman. To me, that Fotoman Dmax seems very similar to the Horseman design, though the Horseman SW-D II Pro offers far more movement range. I don't have an image of the newest Arca Swiss mentioned, but I think the Horseman is a good comparison.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

My TK 45 works perfectly well with a 58mm on a flat board. I think a 45mm is possible on one as well although I've yet to try anything shorter than my 58mm.

David Whistance

according to the linhof website the tk will work with lenses as wide as 35mm with the proper board.

You can use : Sinar C or P + resessed lens board + WA bellows.

you'll find film tolerances and digital back tolerances to be quite different, esp with wide lenses. don't fool around, get a camera designed for digital wide angle work. the linhof tk isn't sturdy enough for what you need.

thanks for the advice. so maybe then a dedicated digital body then.