Some years back my wife, in partial payment for labour, was paid with a couple of large format cameras. One of them is a Rochester 5X8 Universal Camera. Found some info on it on that web page that provides info on lots of different American made field cameras. I have also read lately of the increase interest in 5X8.
One of my questions is were the film holders standardized for that size, by that I mean if I was to purchase a holder would it fit. Seems I read here or on APUG that was not the case for whole plate. I do know that a 5X7 holder fits. Are the 5X8 even more unreasonalby priced that the 5X7..I recently sold a brand new pair of 5X7 for a whole lot more than I expected but that was just converted to other photo equipment.
Does anyone use this particular model. The lensboards are very small compared to any other ones I have seen and not sure how big of a lens I would be able to mount on it. Currently the camera is a display item. I need to repair a couple of pinholes in the bellows. It does have a lens, a brass one from the 19th century missing its stops and will post about it when I get home.
At least with a film holder I could test out the format shooting some paper negs with pinholes but in the long run not sure if it would be worth while purchasing holders for it if I don't use it. Anyways as there has been posts on 5X8 I thought I would see if these old ones are currently used. My 5X7 is a Seneca Improved and does seem to be much more advanced in design but also larger and heavier with more bellow extension,even without the extension rail. I will most likely sell one of these as perfer the 4X5 aspect and also the square format.