Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 4x5 monorail camera

SF Bay Area 94303

Re: Recommendations for a 4x5 monorail camera

Chuck,
    You old Calumet is really not worth fixing when you can buy good ones on Ebay for $99. I have had one for 30 years and it has always served me well.
    I eventually move up to an old used ARCA B model. I like the camera a lot. If I had to do it over I would probably do the Sinar system. I bought a Linhof 45S on ebay for $180 and it is really really nice, but heavy. Real quality.
    K

Hello again, Chuck.

Move the standards back and forth on the rail until they won't go and then attack those rough spots with automotive sand paper and steel wool like I mentioned my machinist friend did. If you are patient and gentle, you should fix it without any slop to worry about.

The front rise is accomplished by pulling out on the knob which seats the pinion gear into the rack. Rotate the knob for up or down. Then you push the knob back in when you have adjusted the rise to your desired position.

Once you've smoothed the swing plates, you should be able to find very thin nylon washers to use as shims if needed.

Check with Jose at Calumet for the other parts and keep your eyes open on ebay for the back. I've seen several of these come up as either the back alone or as part of a group of bits from one of these cameras.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I am in need of a Calumet 4x5 20inch monorail . Any help ?
    Bill Turner cbtfoto@verizon.net

lazy retired bum

If you want a monorail you can actually carry and possibly hike with that combines rigidity, smooooth movements, and just feels good to use, consider an Arca. Get in touch with Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix. I have no connection to him or Photomark except as a satisfied customer.

Good luck.

Eric

What Frank said, Except I would recommend a Sinar F2. The biggest difference between (but not the only) an F1 and an F2 is the F2 has geared front focus. I have seen them go for less than $500 on the big auction site. Infinitely versatile and accessories are plentiful and (if you are patient) cheap.

hacker extraordinaire

Someone on APUG this morning was selling a very nice condition Calumet, with original case, and 4 film holders for $100. Might still be available.

You should decide what types of things you're going to photograph. In particular, if you're going to do a lot of traveling/hiking, you don't want a Sinar P, mainly because it is extremely heavy and bulky. On the other hand, if you're going to do a lot of studio work or right-next-to-the-car work, then a Sinar P (or p2) would be outstanding. All of the movements are geared, and the camera is very sturdy. And as Frank said, there are lots of accessories available for reasonable prices.

Horseman is another option, and some Horseman parts are interchangeable with Sinar. (Usually bellows and lensboards.)

If size and weight really matter, check out a Toho.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I know I will get some flack for this, but if you want a monorail that you can use in the field, I have a Linhof Standard. It is extremely light and portable yet can use most every Linhof accessory. It does have a Graflok back, is geared and has all the movements I can handle. Best part, they are usually available at very reasonable prices. The only difference I have found is that the bellows are fixed, but of course they can be replaced if needed. Take care.

What kind of photos do you plan to take with this camera? Do you plan to work in a studio or take it outside? How important is weight to you? If you want to use it outside, how far from the car do you think you'll venture?

There are a few directions in which you could proceed, depending on what you have in mind.

Be sure that, when you do buy, you get a system that is versatile, expandable (and you can get parts for), and will serve your shooting goals--that is, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. For example, the Arca F-Line I will be putting up for sale soon (sorry for the shameless plug) is not the ideal studio camera but served me well for landscapes and architecture.
    Mike