Thread: photo swap meets

Hopelessly Lost

photo swap meets

Ok, this is pretty weird question but anyone know of any used camera shows/swapmeets in the Nashville area? Hell, Im willing to go as far as Atlanta/Lexington/Birmingham. I have a ton of gear that I need to get rid of ASAP and most all of it is random stuff. I figure I could offload all of it in one fell swoop at a show.

H.

Re: photo swap meets

Hello, Hollis.

Is St. Louis totally out of your range. There is a big camera show there on March 9th that you might still be able to register for. Google Mid America Camera Shows and you can access their sit including registration forms. I've been to many of their show in St. Louis and Kansas City and they do a good job.

Good Luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Hollis, most, perhaps all, the big shows/swap meets are very organized commercial events, even if they don't look that way to the casual observer. Most of the sales will go to dealers. If you were to set up and sell at one you had better be prepared to take low dollars for your stuff unless it is both gorgeous and unusual. Remember that most of the people who come to these are looking for bargains.

You will likely do as well maybe even better selling your stuff straight out to Jim at Midwest.

Scott Brewer

Also the swaps charge you for a table. Ebay has killed off a lot of the shows. I know I stopped going when the big one in my area started charging $7 entry and $6 for parking!

I would try Craigslist.

Shutterbug magazine used to contain a list of upcoming shows in the classified section at the back of the magazine. I don't know if it still does but you could check. Barnes and Noble and similar places usually carry the magazine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Google "Camera Shows" and you will get a listing of most of them.

We go to a show in Southern California every month which has been running for at least 25 years. It continues to decline in size. Contrary to an earlier statement, most of the sellers are individuals. Only perhaps 1 in 25-30 vendors is connected with a store. Some are former store owners, some are e-bay sellers, but mostly we are individuals who continue to use film and in many cases, vintage equipment and processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Ok, this is pretty weird question but anyone know of any used camera shows/swapmeets in the Nashville area? Hell, Im willing to go as far as Atlanta/Lexington/Birmingham. I have a ton of gear that I need to get rid of ASAP and most all of it is random stuff. I figure I could offload all of it in one fell swoop at a show.

H.
    Take a look at this -

http://www.antiquewoodcameras.com/shows.htm

http://www.photorama.com/dates.html

http://www.shutterbug.net/tradeshows/

http://www.bargaincamerashows.com/

Hopelessly Lost

Thanks everyone for all the help. Cheers!