Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'm interested to know ...do most people keep a cable release attached to each lens?

Re: I'm interested to know ...do most people keep a cable release attached to each le

The ultimate best gadget I ever found was a large paddle lever that screwed into the socket yet was still relatively compact, so you could simply flick it with a fingertip to fire. It didn't isolate vibration the way a cable release might, but for short handheld exposures it was the bomb and it didn't seem to really impart any vibration anyway. I think it was made for Schneider in the press camera days although there were no markings.

Alas I have never seen another one and it was sold with the lens that it was fitted to. Dumb of me, it was a great design that maybe SK Grimes (or our friends in China) could have redone.

The idea of Loctiting a short Gepe extension cable into your shutter is probably the best way to preserve the threads and give yourself a nice clean thread that is much easier to mount a cable release into than the side of a shutter. Even for lenses on flat boards.

The Linhof quick release is nice too except I never liked dealing with the special tips they require. But Linhof cable releases are really really nice.

Re: I'm interested to know ...do most people keep a cable release attached to each le

I do as I find it saves me some fiddling each time I would want to take a shot. I have never had any case of damage neither on a cable release nor on a shutter with this habit.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

A couple of months ago, when I only had one decent cable release, my answer is (was) no, i never left the cable release attached all the time. But a few weeks ago at a swap meet I purchased a number of good quality, used cable releases, and now I leave them attached all the time.

That's the real issue for me however, finding good cable releases to begin with.
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The idea of Loctiting a short Gepe extension cable into your shutter is probably the best way to preserve the threads and give yourself a nice clean thread that is much easier to mount a cable release into than the side of a shutter. Even for lenses on flat boards.
    Better than the Gepe extension cable is the Prontor L-Adapter. I use them on my wide angle lenses. They really help with recessed boards. They fire almost any shutter including prontors. They will not fire my Ilex 5 though. Lou at PhotoGizzmo.com bought out the old stock on these. I mention this because I know he has a good quantity in stock and I don't know where else you could get them. He also has nicer NOS Prontor shutter release cable that is very flexible and has a long through for $10. These fire the Ilex 5 and are flexible enough to keep mounted to your shutter without damaging the threads.

Yes.

No. But I use the Linhof quick release system for my cable releases to speed things up. It takes about 1s to attach the release to the lens that way. The system can be a bit finicky when not taken care of and some people hate them, but I really like the system.

Beware the metal sheathed cable release; it can scratch many things if it is not tied down or allowed to rub shutter, like small-MF cameras using the coiled metal neck "straps."
    Bernie

Thanks everyone ... that's a lot bigger response than I had anticipated! Plenty to think about, but I'll check on the various options, and get some decent releases. I've done that with a Lee filter holder also (forgotten to attach the cable release first)... whilst rushing against the imediately post dawn light changing.

No, I don't use a corded lawnmower either, snag the cable once and you will wish you had taken the time to attach it after the lens has been secured.