Page 42 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Yeah I didn't realize CG Server AND Genius had to be up. Very strange usage. Making my first scan here now! Thanks Peter.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'm starting to read this thread from front to back so pardon me if I ask questions that might've been answered before!

Finally got a couple of scans made, but with strange artifacts. It's smearing or something. I have no idea what is causing this. Any clues??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cezannes___can-0010.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	90891

Is the calibration plate seated properly. (Don't touch the white strip. It's delicate!) What holder are you using, and is it seated properly? It could also be a data transfer problem. What size negative were you scanning, and what were the settings?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'm running a self-diagnostic at the moment, but I'm sure that the calibration plate is seated fine as I checked it when I got it. This is a 35mm chrome, in the slide holder and placed right on to the platen. Settings were 4000dpi I think, other settings I don't remember, but I transferred the *.tiff file to a flash card and moved it to my PC.

*Checked and the calibration plate is fine. Now it's hanging up after the scan and never finishes on most scans, the server dialog box just says "Setup..." for an hour on a tame 2400dpi greyscale scan. This program is beyond frustrating. Maybe 1/5 scans actually works, and every single one has given me those glitched up results.

I've fooled with this thing for about 6-7 hours today, I'm done, hopefully tomorrow will bring better results.
    Last edited by Corran; 8-Mar-2013 at 23:28.

Okay, I feel like I'm getting closer to understanding how this program wants to work. It's like if I don't do everything in just the right order it gets fed up with me and doesn't work.

Anyway, scans are looking pretty good from a color/resolution standpoint, but I'm stymied by these color smear bands. They show up in every scan as glitched up areas all across the scan. Now that I look closer, they seem to be in the preview file too - but it's so low-resolution it's hard to tell. Would any of you guys have some clue as to what could cause this? My question here is whether it's a hardware problem (as in the machine is damaged somehow) or a software/interface issue that I've got a funky setting checked that I shouldn't? It almost looks like what I would get when I accidentally tried using Digital ICE with b&w negatives with a different scanner. Here's another example from Portra 160 120 film:

Name:	cezanne-0010.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	90915

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

This is the same problem I have. I tried multiple buffer settings, no change. I even tried lubricating the scanner! Nothing. It doesn't show below 4000spi.
    Seems like a step motor problem, as if the platen had moved during one line exposure. But truth is this looks like a line split into multiple lines in the document, maybe a data transfer issue.

Try changing the scan resolution, going both up and down a bit. I've scanned 35mm film at 6000 spi.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi guys. I've tried resolutions from 1600 to 6000 and still got the lines...BUT, I just tried it again with the film placed in the middle of the platen, and it scanned fine. It's just when I had the film close to the calibration strip that it was giving me fits. In the center - perfect! Very strange. Are you not supposed to put the film at the edge of the platen??

Just a quick comparison...here's the same Portra 160 negative (120) from my old Microtek M1 scanner (bottom) compared to the Cezanne (top), both at 2400dpi:

Name:	cezanne-0012.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	90918

Bryan,

Always have long dimension of the film run in the same direction as scan bed.

If your scan line flaw runs across then it could be the stepper motor, but I've never seen a Cezanne have a problem

If the scan flaw runs left-right as in he direction of the pass then its likely dirt somewhere interfering with scan. Could be something on calibration strip, or dirt got on CDC itself, though that's equally unlikely

I always scan in the center of the bed, about 4-5 inches down from the calibration edge of the platen. Geometry of the platen lens.

For 35 mm mounted slides, pull the vinyl platen and use the open frame work and put one of the 6"x5" individlal holders.

For unmounted film, place directly on platen and put clamp over the top to hold flat. Emulsion side down, I think. Should say in the manual.

Wipe inside with tack cloth, dust is not your friend.

Use non-ammonia glass cleaner of purest quality on platten. Ammonia will ruin platten.

Dust is your enemy hate it.

This is a start.

Keep playing with color genius, advanced controls are located in a not intuitive place. Sharpening is the frickin default, turn it off every time, and use the superior features in your editor. But, scanner is so sharp, you will not need much, niohing like with a lesser scanner.

Lines look like dirt on calibration trip. Move film up or own a little to avoid the spot on the strip.

Bob

Thanks for the additional tips Bob!

I have been placing the film as recommended - long edge parallel to the long side of the scanner. The lines are running perpendicular so it would have to be the stepper motor if anything rather than the CCD.

(I was placing the 645 negative directly on the bed with a mask and the hold-down plate.)

I have a lot to learn, but like you said - a good start! Thanks again.