Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Thank you for the polite reply. Gratefully noted.

I did think we were discussing large format. I have found many of the Epson folks scanning large format at 4000 and downsampling to 2000 spi, silk purse from a pigs ear sort of thing. Sorry I assumed that was your basis, apparently incorrectly.

Optically when one is at the limit of resolution the contrast (MTF..) drops so much that its all about making line pairs out of the fuzzies. I just believe its good practice to back away a little where your defination contrast wise, is more robust. To me it makes for a better scan. Opinion not fact I suppose. Drum scanners just work differently, no lens, more of a aperture I believe. Not an expert so I need to stop here before I jump in too deep.

4000 spi is quite nice with the Cezanne.

I made an assumption that you may have been pixel peeping (ie. Photoshop at 300%) in determining if your machine was focusing correctly. Based upon your resolution charts (is the resolution scale-spi or line pairs???), it didnt look bad at all.

When you get up to 5000-6000 dpi, a sota drum is just superior with small negatives. Cezanne cant compete for best of the best quality when scanning ie. 35mm.. But for larger negatives it's the bomb, imo.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by mdala View Post
    Hi Bob,

thanks for taking the time to write.

I regularly drum scan medium format at 6000 spi and that resolution isn't "so high in the rarified air to be almost unworkable". Films like Ektar 100 produce beautiful 50 inches prints when scanned at that resolution. I don't see how 5300 spi from the Cezanne would be an issue. The only issue I'm having now is that the Cezanne doesn't seem to focus properly..

The earlier comparison scans I made between the drum scanner and the Cezanne show that, resolution wise, the Cezanne holds very well at 5300. Dynamic range is where it is lacking.

You must have assumed I was scanning large format at 5300spi on the cezanne. That's not the case. I would scan at a lower resolution if the originals were 4x5 or larger.

MD
    Last edited by Bob McCarthy; 15-Nov-2011 at 09:22.