Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telefoto Lens for 4X5

Telefoto Lens for 4X5

Hi,

I am looking to buy a telefoto lens for my 4X5. I want something in the range of 400mm. Any advice / suggestions?

Thanks

Marc

Re: Telefoto Lens for 4X5

I used to own a Fuji 400mm T lens. I was quite happy with it on my wista. Gave me so sharp pics on 4x5 with moderate movements. The nikon 360mm is also highly regarded but is about three times as expensive.

In a 400mm telephoto, the Schneider Compact Apo-Tele-Xenar is pretty hard to beat optically. It's nice and bright (f/5.6) and sharp as a tack, though it's in a #3 shutter and isn't the smallest, lightest, or cheapest thing out there. I've got a Fujinon-T 400mm f/8, which is in a #1 and is a quite serviceable, but isn't apochromatic. I've always found that it produces color fringing that is noticeable at high magnifications, though this is pretty easy to correct in Photoshop if you are printing digitally.

You might consider a Nikkor 360mm tele. It's in a #1 shutter, and can be converted to 500mm and 720mm with additional rear lens cells.

What kind of camera will you be using?

I have Komura 400mm and 500mm telephoto lenses that I use on my Super-Graphic, and these can sometimes be found for very economical prices on auction sites. The 400mm in in a Copal 1 shutter, the 500mm is in a Copal 3, and both focus a nice range from infinity to fairly close with the limited bellows draw of the SuperGraphic.

I've had the Fujinon 450/f9 and found it a capable performer, but you'll need some bellows (and a non-windy location).
    Mike

Hi, I am using osaka 400/8 tele with my Tachi. While it is probably not the sharpest lens in my kit (I would still consider it sharp though) it is at 500g the lightest tele lens in this focal range (Fujinon 400 T ~ 600g, Nikkor 360 T ~ 800g). The funny thing is that it does not have a serial number. Also the prices are usualy reasonable at around $300 on auction site.
    Matus

Not everyone knows this, but the term "Telephoto" is used to describe lenses that require a shorter bellows draw than normal. In other words, a standard 400mm lens normally requires 400mm of bellows extension at infinity, but a 400mm Tele lens may only require 250mm of bellows draw.

Eric Woodbury

I know you said telephoto, but I'm with mdd99. I have the Fuji 450C and think it is a great lens. I had a Fuji 400T years ago and didn't like it that much. I wasn't was as sharp as other lenses and the tele design, not matter Fuji or Nikkor or other, is large and heavy. Therefore it gets left behind, like my 600T Nikkor does now. Left behind doesn't do much good at all.

If you don't have 450mm of bellows, consider using a 360mm lens and cropping the neg.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

what's sharper, a 400mm Telephoto lens or a 400mm normal lens (say a Tessar)?

The Schneider Compact Apo-Tele-Xenar I have is the sharpest lens I own. including Fujinon T and symmar-s 360 MC