Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Polaroid, we shall miss thee...

Re: Goodbye Polaroid, we shall miss thee...

Type 809, Voigtlander Petzval

Taken on some very old (over 10 years past its exp. date) T-52. Scanned and "hand" colored in PS...

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Oh, come on, it is all over the major news outlets in that last couple of weeks. Polaroid has, or will, cease production of all instant film products within a few weeks.

Thanks. I assume you mean all over the major American news outlets.

Intrerestingly, there is no coverage on the Polaroid website.

Steve

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Look at any instant film product in the "for sale" section of www.polaroid.com -- the announcement/apology is there.

p.s. it was in the UK news also. Where are you located???

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Look at any instant film product in the "for sale" section of www.polaroid.com -- the announcement/apology is there.

p.s. it was in the UK news also. Where are you located???

Brian,

I was looking at the press release section on the Polaroid site. I am in the UK, and I have subsequently seen it on UK news sites, but only after I started looking. It was easy to miss.

I am a bit sceptical about reports of product demises as there are so many false alarms, and there was one about Polaroid last year that was false (or premature :-)). Also journalists do have a great ability to take any fact and turn it in to any story they feel like. Sometimes they even ignore the fact part of the equation.

Steve

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Hi Steve,

I share your skepticism in most cases, preferring to keep a positive attitude until real facts show up. In the Polaroid situation I have been watching this since 2001. For anyone who has been watching (which does take a bit of effort) it is no surprise.

The part of the situation I'm now watching with a skeptical eye are the rumors (hopes) (fantasies) that Fuji will 'save the day" and if not them, Harman/Ilford. I would be happy if it happened but I'm just too much of a realist to get my hope up too high.

Over on APUG someone just posted a link to a Polaroid phase-out table... but most of the availability data is already wrong. Like you, I was quite surprised that they have no press release. I suppose one morning we'll all wake up and see a Polaroid web site that simply no longer mentions instant film. This is like watching the last few dodo birds die.

I have some out-dated type 55 (dried out developer pods) that I am going to try to use as if it were a ready load. I'll not process it in the holder, but instead will tray-process the film. I'll have to experiment with developers and times, but it's better than throwing it away.

It sucks.. but I hope we will all learn to adapt. The rights and production equipment are for sale and I'm sure someone will buy them saving the day... if not, I'll move on.

On the Polaroid UK shop site:

http://www.polaroid.com/shop/shop_de...bmLocale=en_GB

Every 4x5 film bar one specific 10x8 film will be discontinued within the next several months. It is a crying shame really. I love type 55.

As Polaroid state 'although the circumstances made it inevitable'.. I wonder what those circumstances are? Maybe they should share their reasons and give us some supporting data. At least I would be interested and sympathise a bit more. At the moment I am totally pi**ed with Polaroid. One tiny note in a box on the web site is not really good enough for their loyal users!

The user base of Type 55 and sales could never have been enormous, and I would love to know the figures and how much sales have dropped since the introduction of digital (if indeed that is the reason for ceasing production?).

Steve