Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: United Airlines Announces New Checked Bag Policy

Re: United Airlines Announces New Checked Bag Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    > How is this any different?

It is exactly the same - they are doing as retaliation for the US policy.
    In fact, my understanding was that the US had introduced the "e-Passport" (the passport with a biometric chip inside) and "invited" all countries in the world to adhere to the new format.
    I had my italian passport renewed 4-5 years ago and had to spend $100+ to upgrade to the new e-Passport. Without one, all Europeans who wanted to come to the US for tourism had to get visas even though EU citizens are not supposed to be required one for up to three months stay.

Re: United Airlines Announces New Checked Bag Policy

Hi Francesco-

I'm a US citizen who lived in Scotland for a few years and had to travel back and forth to the USA about 6 to 8 times a year. They are equal opportunity abusers - my treatment at Newark was about the same as yours. Once, however, due to a diversion because of a booking snafu, I came into the USA via Chicago - and the folks there not only didn't hassle me, they were actively NICE (I wrote a letter to Customs & Immigration praising them).

Have never been strip searched but have had absolutely everything dumped out of my bags - watched the Mamiya 7 bounce on the stainless steel table surface, then then 150 and 65mm lenses... been verbally questioned in a "private room" about why I had so much camera equipment... these people are on power trips and need a little reassurance once in awhile that they can do whatever to whomever whenever.

Yeah, the voices of freedom. Uh-huh.

Russ Young