Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: United Airlines Announces New Checked Bag Policy

Re: United Airlines Announces New Checked Bag Policy

I've flown on just about every airline on the planet, and United has never been among my favorites. There is something about the pitch of their seats that makes their planes more uncomfortable that others.

The airlines are having a tough time - they have dramatically cut services in order to cut costs, but they still are on the verge of insolvency. I suspect that the major issue is fuel cost, but who knows for sure.

It seems to me that if they need to increase rates to improve their financial performance, then that's what they should do rather than disguise rate increases by adding fees for luggage, food, choice of seating, etc.

The cost of flying has declined rather significantly over the past 15 years. I'm flying from upstate NY to Los Angeles in early April for just over $300. Seems to me that the price for that trip used to be $750 - $1000.

If the airlines need more revenue, all it takes is for one to bite the bullet and announce that they are increasing X%, and everyone else will jump in and do likewise within a matter of hours. I have a suspicion that the travel arms of major corporations may be placing pressure on airlines to keep fares low. After all, most business travelers don't check luggage or depend on airline chow - so all they care about is the cost of the ticket. If so, that would mean that the incremental cost that us non-business schlubs pay for checked luggage, food, seating, etc is really underwriting the cost of business travel.

Of course, the other argument is that business travelers tend to pay the full fare because they travel on short notice and don't have the luxury to shop around for bargains, and it is the highly-discounted leisure travel segment that is actually bankrupting the airlines.

It would be interesting to see some unbiased numbers to see what is really happening.

The really annoying thing is that the new charge will cause passengers to bring as much stuff as possible on board, slowing down the seating process and leaving less room in the overhead for camera bags that can't be checked.

Sounds reasonable from the airline's perspective, key point being that those with mileage status have some exemptions.

My ex, however, wouldn't be able to fly at all, as it would cost her an extra $thousand for the bags she took (on weekend jaunts, of course).

When I fly now I only carry camera gear - no clothes or other stuff. After two or three weeks in the field with the same clothes I get hurried through the check-in without delay.
    Seems to work pretty well. Other curiosity seekers tend not to bother me when I'm set up in the field either.

Nate Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    When I fly now I only carry camera gear - no clothes or other stuff. After two or three weeks in the field with the same clothes I get hurried through the check-in without delay.
    Seems to work pretty well. Other curiosity seekers tend not to bother me when I'm set up in the field either.
    After all, who needs clean underwear when you have a camera.

The thing is, how much does it cost to buy a couple pairs of boxers and sox's and throw or give them away before the return trip? Buy it there and leave it there, or if pressed just send them home.

Exactly. I never have time to shop for clothing when I'm at home, and often when I'm traveling there's some dead time or time for casual wandering around, so I don't mind picking up a few things along the way. I also have things that I can wash in a hotel sink that dry quickly (ExOfficio makes travel wear of this type), so I can get by on two shirts for a week or more if I have to.

There's a caveat to what I said. It only worked well when I was between wives. Ahh that is - I mean between marriages. Don't want to seen too strange.

Nathan Potter

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Well, here is something else. This really scares me, I can see our privacy rights evaporating.

"Travelers to Europe may face fingerprinting

The European Commission will propose Wednesday that all foreign travelers into and out of Europe, including U.S. citizens, should be fingerprinted. If approved by the European Parliament, the measure would mean that precisely identifying information on tens of millions of citizens will be added in coming years to databases that could be shared by friendly governments around the globe.

The United States already requires that foreigners be fingerprinted and photographed before they can enter the country. So does Japan. Now top European security officials want to follow suit, with travelers being fingerprinted and some also having their facial image stored in a Europe-wide database, according to a copy of the proposal obtained by The Washington Post. "

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23120034/
    I am European and I have been living in the US for the past 9 years. I have been fingerprinted and verbally abused by the immigration officers every single time I left and came back to the US since 1999. How is this any different?

> How is this any different?

It is exactly the same - they are doing as retaliation for the US policy.