Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Good Things Come to an End - Black and White Photography Magazine (UK)

All Good Things Come to an End - Black and White Photography Magazine (UK)

When I first found the British magazine 'Black & White Photography' on the shelf of my local Chapters here in Ontario, Canada I thought that I'd won the lottery.

The format was refreshing, the content was music to my ears. Lacking in reviews of the latest uberDSLRs, or the latest new super-zoom, this magazine just covered black & white photography in it's purest form.

Initially it was very much film based but in later years it brought in enough digital to keep both tastes happy.

But Ailsa has moved on, the new man at the helm has started to infuse his vision on to the magazine. I'm afraid it has made a sharp turn toward 'all the other' populist photography magazines.

The new Canon 1D MkIII was reviewed because 'such an important camera introduction could not be ignored'. Other articles which make me want to cry involve 'learning how to see'. Even the huge 'advertising features' from camera suppliers albeit B&W specific ones are a turn for the worse IMO.

And then the kicker - Les McLean answering questions from readers - god give me strength - I saw this kind of thing thirty years ago in British photography magazines. Not that there's anything wrong with Les, he's a great guy, but please ....

I have every issue published of this magazine, but now I'm seriously thinking about leaving it on the shelf ...

Along with Polaroid Instant Film, all good things must come to an end ... mediocrity rules !!!

Re: All Good Things Come to an End - Black and White Photography Magazine (UK)

I agree to a point. I still read it because I still read it. Lame reasoning, I know. But old habits are hard to break.

I still prefer Aperture, Lenswork, Focus, Silvershotz, View Camera and Light Leaks.

Lenswork is the only magazine I subscribe to. The magazine you refer to is a good one for tyros. Both film and digital. I think most people on this forum are beyond Black and White Magazine when it comes to finding new ideas or artistic stimulation. I'll flip thru it at the newsstand but it's not motivated me to bring out my wallet for some time.

View Camera is another magazine that I purchase probably 80% of the time from the newsstand. All the printer reviews that have been in there recently have left me cold as I can find all the info I want on that type of thing on the net.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Can't disagree with anything anyone has said about B&W Photography magazine, except I don't read it, not because I don't read it, but because I don't have time for canon fodder.

The magazine has pretty much been the publication of apug.org, with most of its members contributing to it in some shape or form. The current twisted little editor of B&W magazine would have been better off parading his abilities in the small ads glamour section of his former homestead magazine (equally trite, but more so in colour)...

Bring on Lenswork ...

PS - what is Light Leaks?

Unfortunately, Outdoor Photography (UK) seems to be going in the same direction as well. Their lead article on the last issue I've seen - "Understanding RAW". I buy it because I love all the location articles, but they too have a new editor.

Both magazines are owned by the same company, and both magazines now have new editors. Does that tell you something?

Black & White was a pretty good magazine while Ailsa was still there. I made the mistake buying one last month and that was the last issue i ever will spend money on.
    What a change a year makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post

...I have every issue published of this magazine, but now I'm seriously thinking about leaving it on the shelf ...
    It is a great shame that what used to be a reasonable read at a reasonable price seems to have taken a bit of a nose-dive since the new editor took over. I've stuck with it, so far, simply because I have a subscription - which at least has the fringe benefit of delivering plain covers with no overprinting, nothing but the title and full-bleed image - and there have been some great covers.

There seems to be less content of substance now and lately there have been some pretty bad inclusions - sadly, many of these from the new editor. There are plenty of magazines available for the market that B&W now seems to be aiming at.

The journal I look forward to with the most relish now though is Ag magazine, which still maintains a high standard, both of images and text, albeit at a slightly higher annual price.
    Roy
    ----------------------
    The Golden Fleece

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    ... What a change a year makes.
    Give the new man a chance. He hasn't been editor long enough to be able to do more than start thinking about chenges yet, as you would all have realised if you'd thought about it for a moment.

I don't intend to cancel my subscription, at least not yet.

B&W UK is now about $12 here in the US and no longer of any value to me.

I plan on buying 3 subscriptions this month:
    B&W (usa)
    Lenswork
    View Camera

Yes, the magazine has changed. I've been a regular since the first issues, and have been a subscriber for a couple of years. The magazine has featured some great portfolios, and made space for comparisons of developers, lith, discussions of zone, etc. However, since the recent change of editor the magazine has started to read more like 'what-digicam?'.
    Now, I'm happy to be patient for a while to see if a magazine I like can sort out its editorial policy. The great strength of B&W magazine was that it had it's own niche and its own readership- if it chooses to try and push its way into more direct competition with the other big titles, will it find more new readers than it loses? My subscrition runs for 6 more months, and it would be good to see the mag back on form by then.
    PS- Hope Ailsa's doing well.