Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 x5 or 5 x7

4 x5 or 5 x7

Hi

Could i have some advice please on the advantages and disadvantages of the 4 x 5 versus the 5 x 7 format.

Thank you.

Robin

Re: 4 x5 or 5 x7

Robin

I give you the three main reasons , why I got a 4x5 (ARCASWISS) camera .

a) A 4x5 camera weighs less than a 5x7 . Lenses are smaller and cheaper .
    b) There are more different films available on the market for 4x5 than for 5x7 .
    c) Using a JOBO 2500 tank system , you can develop the 4x5 films in the same manner
    than you did with your MF films in the past . You can even use the same developing
    times .

Additional , a 4x5 piece of film can be scanned quite comfortable on many scanners .

Regards Jurgen

This depends entirely on your requirements.
    - For color - 4x5 is better (you can get a reducing back fo 5x7 too) - too few color 5x7 films out there.
    - 4x5 is lighter - the backpackers choice (mostly).
    - 4x5 tends to be cheaper (not a general statement) - more used cameras available.
    - 4x5 lenses are cheaper (those with reasonable coverage) - especially true for wide angle lenses.
    - 4x5 is too small (according to my opinion) for contact printing - 5x7 might do the job, although 8x10 could be even more appealing.
    - 4x5 enlargers are much more common and more compact.
    - 4x5 does not really look a like a LARGE FORMAT (at least my Tachi does not)
    - 5x7 is a bit more "panoramic" if yu like it.
    - scanning from 5x7 for medium sized prints requires less performance from the scanner (having the consumer fladbed scanners in mind) in the terms of resolution
    - both are small and cheap when comapred to 20x24
    - both are just black boxes to hold the film one one side and lens on the other side ( in theory ... )

- I have 4x5 tachi - small and light - I love it. But will get one day something more substential for contact printing (8x10, 7x11, 5x12, or even 7x17 ?)
    Matus

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Weight: Not much difference, really. No 5x7" camera is as lightweight as the really lightweight 4x5" cameras, but otherwise there's not much difference. Some manufacturer's 4x5" cameras are really 5x7" cameras with 4x5" backs.

Colour film: True, there are more colour films for 4x5" than for 5x7". But there is quite a good selection for 13x18cm - which uses the same size holders as 5x7".

Lens availability/price: Most lenses can be used on either. A 90mm f:8 is a relatively inexpensive superwide for 5x7", or a not-so-wide for 4x5". Most 150mm plasmats just barely cover 5x7". It seems to be quite easy to find a 210mm at a reasonable price.

I use both 4x5" and 5x7" - and 9x12cm and 13x18cm film in those cameras - as well as 18x24cm/8x10", and 24x30cm/9.5x12". Each format has its strengths and weaknesses, but for black&white I prefer 5x7" or bigger. I have a 5x7" enlarger, so I can choose whether to contact or enlarge my 5x7"s.

Let's look at the aesthetics of using 4x5 v. 5x7 instead of the more technical differences described very well, above.

Assuming you print the full frame, many argue that the proportions of 5x7 are more pleasing to the eye than those of 4x5.

You can also argue that viewing a 5x7 gg opens up vistas to view in a way that is ot possible with 4x5, simply because of the larger area of the glass, thus allowing more/easier freedom of expression.

4x5---the availability of color films, grafmatic holders, quickloads (and type 55 until Polaroid stocks run out)& cheap enlargers.
    5x7---a more pleasing size for contact prints & alternative processes, less "square" & more of a chick magnet than 4x5 (though not as much of a chick magnet as 8x10!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I am new to large format but my reasoning for sticking with 4X5 is:

Smaller and lighter than 5x7 or 8x10
    If I want to contact print, personally I would want at least 8X10
    you will find 50 4X5 enlargers for next to nothing for every 5x7 enlarger you can find.

So even though I just picked up an 8X10 for a good price, I am going to resell it because I cannot justify the expense of another format when I am already setup for 4X5 (anybody looking for a Calumet c-1?). At some point I would like to find a cheep 8X10 to do some contact prints with but at the moment my budget and time do not allow for it. Basically I would say (as long as you are doing traditional printing) find what enlarger you will be using, if you can find a 5X7 enlarger locally cheap than maybe go for 5X7, but for me I think I would still stick with 4X5 because in general film and lenses are cheaper IMHO.

You'll never know in advance, and it may not be an either/or decision. Different photos call for different formats, and sometimes, you see things differently, according to the tools you have at hand. It's a circular process, not a linear one.

Thus, if you get a camera that lets you change the back, you are not locked in to one size, or one look. A second back is generally smaller and cheaper than a second camera. If you choose lenses with adequate coverage, your normal lens for the larger size, can be used as a portrait lens for the smaller size... etc. 5x7 contact prints are at the small end of the spectrum, but can be exquisite nevertheless. With modular cameras, if you feel like moving up to 8x10, you just get a back for 8x10.

I purchased a used Sinar P for the price of a new low-end wooden field camera. As a modular system, I can never outgrow it. Later I purchased a 5x7 back, and now my field cameras sit on the shelf. The Sinar has virtually no limitations of movement or adjustment, and isn't too heavy unless you plan to climb mountains with it, or have a physical limitation. My only regret is that I didn't get one sooner.

One advantage of 5x7 over 4x5 is that even low-end scanners like the Epson 4990, are adequate for making large prints (or cropped images) of truly outstanding quality. That's true, even if you only get 1800 ppi out of the Epson. With 4x5, some of us wonder if we shouldn't have paid more and gotten a drum scan, or a high-end scanner.

I can't recall hearing that question often asked, by people who scan larger negatives. It's the 4x5 shooters that seem to be stuck in that awkward place.

Robin, you have had some excellent answers, but we would be able to help you more precisely if you tell us what you want to do with your camera, whether you want to buy used or new, which lenses you would aim for, and so on. In a large measure, it's horses for courses!

I like 5x7 becuase I like to hold prints in my hands to look at them. A 5x7 contact print is simply beautiful.

4x5 IMO is a touch too small to contact print and therefore excels by enlarging.

So, if you don't have a 4x5 enlarger and don't want such a huge beast, go 5x7 and make contact prints !