Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photography books: your favorites ?

Photography books: your favorites ?

Many of the above mentioned books & authors/photographers I would second. In my childhood, I would have to say that the book, "Family of Man" by Steichen et al had a most profound impact upon me. Early editions of the National Geographic not to mention Life likewise had not only a photographic impact but perhaps more importantly, instilled upon me a sense of humanity and curiousity about man & nature. A 1950's edition of the Leica Manuel my parents possessed was stimulating. The "History of Photography" by Beaumont Newhall ranks right up there for me. And I have to plug Professor Bill Jay's (ASU) book, "Negative & Positive" if my memory serves me well. This Brit cuts to the meat & tosses out the fat about photography & art.

Has no one seen books by Frederick Evans? Some of the most beautiful shots I've ever seen, and through his work (platinum prints) you can really learn what it means to "see the light".

Although these photographers may or may not have used large format equipment. My favorite books include books of Minor White,(Jupiter Portfolio in particular) Imogene Cunningham,(anything she did)Bernice Abbot,Edward Weston, Brett Weston, Wynn Bullock, Doris Uleman and of course the God himself Ansel. But I find I enjoy Fred Sommer (Images) and there is one book I particularly enjoy it is Celebrating the Negative. I love reading and re-reading Bill Jay's On Photography. Or anything that he has written. I see myself sitting in the darkened theatre after lunch 25 years ago listening to Bill mezmerize all of us. He probably had the most influence on my life at least as far as photography goes. I find when I am holding critique, its Bill's nudges I feel. Cutting through the crap and getting to the meat of the image. When I am shooting I find I hear his English accent asking someone in my head " where my dear is your image?" But, I find that whatever book I am currently reading it becomes my favorite. I do not get inspiration from books, I get inspiration from life.

Jacque-- S'il vous plait-----Est vous Francais???????? I would have to agree with your comments re: Bill Jay-------I can not get enough of his material, and I have read most of his works. I find him to have a voice which is not heard very often in the photographic community, perhaps a voice at the end of the tunnel, a source of light, however, very few people accept his demenor or thoughts. In an earlier life time, I saught out Professor Jay at ASU in Tempe to do research, and I would have to say he is one of my mentors in the photographic community and another if I may, Mr. Hal Gould, Curator/Director of the Camera Obscura Gallery in Denver. In the above post, I did mention that he, Jay, cuts through the fat, and you likewise, make a similar comment. Please share with me & others, how you came upon Jay's books & thoughts. Merci! Raymond A. Bleesz

No big mystery about Bill Jay. I am an Arizona Native. I went to ASU. Bill was my advisor. Hope that clears things up. j

I second many of the books on Paul's list. In addition, there is a really excellent series of books available at the photography museum in Ebisu in Tokyo on Japanese photographers. One of my favourites is Tabuchi Yukio.

One of the worst books I have ever come across is a critical study of Carier Bresson entitled HCB and the artless art. The photographs are superb, but the words must count as some of the densest and most pretentious verbiage ever written.

Hi David, would you know where it is possible to get some good photography books from japanese photographers? It is always difficult to access japanese websites because of the langage barrier a nd visiting Tokyo is not yet on my wish list. I have seen some photos here and there from japanese photographers an d they really appealed to see more. These people have a high sense of aesthetics.

Jacque, I like your conclusion " I do not get inspiration from books, I get insp iration from life". (Once more we guys need a woman to bring us back down to earth!) Would you mind telling us a bit mo re? Ansel had a perception of the "music" of things. Do you experience such thing when you photograph? A communion with your subject? Or a hunter-picker approach? Sorry, it's a vast question!

I agree with the part about Bill Jay. He is very good at writting. But I would disagree with not getting inspiration from books. You may not but I and many folks I know get great inspiration from books and galleries. In fact when I teach, I tell students to go out and look at every book they can get. Other's ideas are a wellspring of other ideas. James

Hi Jacques Staskon, Hi Raymond Bleesz, I agree with your opinion about Bill Jay. He really cuts the fat and drills to t he bone. I would like to read more from him, but it is not so easy to get the stuff here in Switzerland. Any news, suggestion, information is therefor e very welcome and appreciated. Thanks and a happy, successful new year. Urs Bernhard

Any book showing the black and white photographs of EDUARD J. STEICHEN. Many of his portraits and landscapes are absolutely stunning. He mastered use of light and shade -- a photographer of immense artistic talen