Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microtek M1 Review

Re: Microtek M1 Review

Harley, it's a tossup between the M1 and the 1800f. The 1800f ha a larger sensor thus gives better edge to edge resolution which is important if you are scanning larger than 4x5 but otherwise not. The overall resolution of the M1 is higher than that of the 1800f. I still haven't tested the DMax of the M1 but suspect it will not come quite up to that of the 1800f which, along with the 2500f was ahead of all the other consumer scanners. I consider DMax to be as important or more important than resolution (within reason). Having said that I haven't and am not going to try and do a detailed comparison of the two because the 1800f is long discontinued.

Remember, if you pushed me to a wall and put a gun to my head asking for a purchase recommendation what you would get is:

1) Wait until the software bugs are worked out on the M1 (or live with them) and buy it.

2) If you don't like 1, above wait and see what new offerings Epson comes out with to see if they are any better than the M1 (but I don't think they will be).

3) If you don't like 1 & 2 above consider buying a used 1800f, 2500/2500f/Duo Scan 2500 which, as long as it is in perfect working order (a big IF consider the age) probably will outperform all the current consumer offerings.

4) If you don't like 1-3 above then save your money for a high-end scanner, either new or used for scanning for prints that really count.

Bottom line is we are pushing the technology of the consumer scanners to near the limit and you jut aren't going to see very much more in the way of incremental improvements using the current technology. That does't mean there aren't other possibilities but neither the cost of the R&D nor the potential sales volume are likely to convince the player to spend the $$ and even if they did the results till wouldn't be that much better than what you get now. The current capabilities, while only adequate IMO, are stil pretty amazing for the price.

Ted -

thanks for the bullet-sized advice.

Is the software problems limited to the States, or is this also on the European F1 version too?

I've seen the Microtex Artixscan F1 (European) with HDR software for around $2000US.

Is that price about right? It is so much cheaper without the (flawed) software - I'm wondering though, how useful it would be without true 48 bit scanning software (not that it matters for black and white whole plate negatives maybe?)

How much are you guys paying for this in the States with the Silverfast HDR software?

Ted,

Excellent summary! Thanks very much for your input.

With Silverfast AI Studio and the extra set of filmholders, the package costs $700. The basic package is $600, so I think it's a pretty good deal for an extra set of holders and the Silverfast software for an extra $100. Or it will be a good deal once Silverfast fixes AI.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    With Silverfast AI Studio and the extra set of filmholders, the package costs $700. The basic package is $600, so I think it's a pretty good deal for an extra set of holders and the Silverfast software for an extra $100. Or it will be a good deal once Silverfast fixes AI.
    No way!!! That's less than 40% of the cost we pay in England.

Even with Customs and postal charges, it's still much cheaper.

Are you sure it's the same product? Surely the F1 must be superior in some some way to warrant charging $2000US equivalent over here. Taxation alone can't explain that difference....? Or can it

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    Taxation alone can't explain that difference....? Or can it
    Someone has explained to me that cost of conducting business in Europe is much higher than in North America, plus: numerous EU officials have to eat and in general EU citizens have to pay somehow for longer holidays, good social services, etc. It is matter of choice, people take care for themselves or dump this task on government, the latter is convenient but much more expensive.
    From what I have read F1 may have different software, addition of ICE, and this may explain difference, still it is large for me.

Thanks Jerzy.

I've had a look at the Microtek website and support for digital ICE seems to be the only major difference between the M1 and F1.
    Type - Flatbed Scanner
    Image Sensor - CCD
    Optical Resolution - 4800 X 9600 dpi
    Bit Depth - True 48-bit
    Scanning Area - Reflective- 8.5" x 14" / 216mm x 356mm (Legal-size), Transparent: Up to 8" x 10" / 203mm x 254mm
    Interface Type - Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0)
    Max. Interpolated Resolution - 65535 X 65535 (PC), 32767 X 32767 (Mac)
    Platform - Windows & Macintosh
    Voltage - 100 t 240 VAC, 47 to 63 Hz
    Power Consumption - 40W
    Environment - Operating Temperature: 10 oC to 40 oC / 50 oF to 104 oF, Relative Humidity: 20% to 85%
    Dimensions - 22.3" x 15.1" x 6.3" / 567mm x 385mm x 158mm
    Net Weight - 26.4 lbs (12 kg)
    In the Box: F1

ArtixScan F1 scanner Power cord
    Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Cable
    Microtek software CD
    35mm(mounted) slide
    SnapTrans holder
    35mm filmstrip SnapTrans holder
    Medium format film SnapTrans holder
    4"x 5" film s SnapTrans holder
    8" x 10" glass film holder

system requirementsMac
    CD-ROM drive (for installing software)
    Colour monitor with 24-bit colour capability
    128MB RAM (256MB recommended )
    iMac or Mac G3/G4/G5 with built-in USB port
    Mac OSX 10.3 and later version

Win
    CD-ROM drive (for installing software)
    Colour monitor with 24-bit colour capability
    128MB RAM (256MB recommended )
    Pentium III PC or higher with USB port;
    USB:Hi-Speed USB port and Windows Me/XP

The ArtixScan F1 HDR ships with the Silverfast software
    compared to:

http://focuscamera.com/product.asp?id=964730444

which has no details to its specifications at all.

In any case, I think anything living in Europe, we're going to be hard pressed to justify buying an F1 over the Epson v750 which is less than 40% of the cost of the Microtek.

Wow--for that price differential, I can't imagine getting the M1. Over here, the V750 is equal in cost--maybe a few dollars more. Strangely, the M1 is twice the weight of the V750--not sure what they're putting in there to account for the difference. The boxed M1 is pretty heavy, but I found a deal with free shipping.

I've had a chance to read the review of the M1 over at whitespider.org and thought the author did quite a thorough job at reviewing the scanner and giving an unbiased opinion. Some good things, some bad things. He's bottom line is very close to Ted's opinion of the M1.

It would be nice to see a side-by-side with the V750 however.

I plan to process and post the scans this weeken. If someone has a V750 and wants to do a test scan, I'm looking for the next film destination now.
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com