Background:

Despite lugging my 35mm (Canon A2, 28-105mm, Bogen 3001, Kaiser Head) in the field, I'm looking for the results I get when I shoot 4x5 (own Omega 45E, Nikkor 210mm f5.6). I'm preaching to the choir but resolution, tonality w/ LF still beats 35mm despite new film technology. I would like to backpack with this outfit so weight is very important. I plan to buy a 90mm (probably Nikkor 90mm f8) and maybe a 135/150 sometime in the future. The main subject will be landscapes. I've rented the Canham from Samy's camera in Venice, CA (the large format guy is pretty knowledgeable and nice) for a weekend. I would prefer a metal view camera. Here's my conundrum when comparing the Canham DLC 45 vs the Horseman HD:

Canham DLC 45 is better than the Horseman HD: 1) More than adequate movements in all respects (I would probably sell my Omega 45E if I bought the Canham) 2) Related to #1 but especially has back tilt and swing, where the HD doesn't. 3) Has 22 inches (558mm) of bellows draw (means that I can use the 300f8 Nikkor lens w/o carrying a heavier telephoto lens). The Horseman has 249mm bellows draw.

Horseman HD is better than the Canham DLC 45: 1) Horseman HD is nearly 1 pound (27%) lighter (3.7lbs vs Canham 4.7lbs) (when it's all on your back it matters - made me consider the Mamiya 7 for awhile) 2) Personally, the controls and folding the camera don't feel as good to me as the Horseman. For example, unfolding the Canham seems clumsier. The lens mount on the Horseman seems simpler (large clip). In the studio, this doesn't seem to matter as much but in the field this might become an issue.

I think the critical decision points are: 1) How important are back tilts and swings when shooting landscapes? 2) For those Canham DLC owners, do the ergonomics of the camera ever bother you? 3) How much of your landscapes shot are done w/ lenses greater than 240mm? 4) Do you own a Horseman HD and are fustrated by lack of movements, espcially back tilt or amount of bellos draw?

I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Harry