Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: flying with sheet films, recent experience.

Re: flying with sheet films, recent experience.

I shipped 4 boxes of Quickloads for my Hawaii trip a few months ago via USPS Priority Mail in their Flat Rate box for only $8.95, and shipped it back to myself via the same, so for a total of $18 not only did I not worry about x-rays but also didn't have to hand carry those 4 boxes.

The box of TXP320 I had in my camera bag, as well as loaded film holders, was fine as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    you need two things, pants with huge pocket, and ilford plastic bag. I just put these film in the pockets and walk through the security gate.
    I like this, except what do you do if it's anything larger than 45

and what sort of quantity this strategy one can get away with, 50 sheets, 100, 200??

I would say anything more than 200 start to look a little funny in those bulging pockets

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    I shipped 4 boxes of Quickloads for my Hawaii trip a few months ago via USPS Priority Mail in their Flat Rate box for only $8.95, and shipped it back to myself via the same, so for a total of $18 not only did I not worry about x-rays but also didn't have to hand carry those 4 boxes.

The box of TXP320 I had in my camera bag, as well as loaded film holders, was fine as well...
    The camera bag that contain, were they carry on's?

I have let film went through check in luggages in those lead line bags(35mm+120) and they all turn out fine.

The shipping to destination only works if you know where you'll be staying, but that is not always the case with me in my travel. Shipping the film back is a viable option. Has any one shipped film back from slightly more obscure places, let's say Peru, Bulgaria, Phillipean...

Robert

Quick load does not come in all flavors, and nothing bigger than 45...

And I remember there is also a weight factor in there somewhere right?

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    I like this, except what do you do if it's anything larger than 45

and what sort of quantity this strategy one can get away with, 50 sheets, 100, 200??

I would say anything more than 200 start to look a little funny in those bulging pockets
    4X5 200sheets shouldn't be any problem. Depends on how many pockets you have. with 4 big external pockets, you can have 400sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    snip...I have heard a few reports of film being fogged after being screened, but I don't think that is has been established that the screening caused the fog. Coincidence does not establish cause...snip.
    I returned home from 3 months of photographing in New Zealand (pre-9/11) and just about all my 4x5 B&W film was fogged. Wish I could have blamed someone else besides myself (light leak in camera back).

I haven't flown post-9/11, but have had a few chuckles watching people try to inspect my 4x5 film in boxes and 8x10 film in holders with their hands in my changing bag. They usually give up after about a minute or two.

vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I returned home from 3 months of photographing in New Zealand (pre-9/11) and just about all my 4x5 B&W film was fogged. Wish I could have blamed someone else besides myself (light leak in camera back).

I haven't flown post-9/11, but have had a few chuckles watching people try to inspect my 4x5 film in boxes and 8x10 film in holders with their hands in my changing bag. They usually give up after about a minute or two.

vaughn
    LOL light leak!!!

I asked about the changing bag option at Hartford and Phoenix, they all said is up to the discretion of the on duty supervisor, which I suspect it's a no.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    4X5 200sheets shouldn't be any problem. Depends on how many pockets you have. with 4 big external pockets, you can have 400sheets.
    With all those rather big budges hanging all over one's trouser, just imagine the possible ensuing line of questioning

But it's still not a bad idea if it's in smaller quantity of 45's

Robert

I've gone through the metal detector with a box or two of 4x5" or 20-30 rolls of 120 in my pockets.

My story of traveling for three months and not discovering a problem until coming back is--fingerprints. Normally they wouldn't be an issue, but leaving the film unprocessed that long allowed the oils to interact with the film--Kodak, Efke, and Forte, so it wasn't just the soft emulsion films. Now I load and unload with powderless nitrile gloves, so no more fingerprints, and I think next time I go for that long, I'm bringing a daylight tank so I can process film as I go, in case of any technical problems.

I used to get hand inspections when I was shooting more film. Now I usually just let it go through the scanner.

I have never seen a really objective test of fogging. The best way to test would be to do a minimal base exposure in camera, like zone 1, then see what the base+fog level is after 1, 2, 3, etc. scans.

I have 3 trips coming up next month - Mexico, Denver, Orlando. Maybe I will set up a few sheets in a separate box to test. Should get 6 passses, see what happens. I can test density with my Eye One Pro when I get home.

TSA has always been nice to me when requesting hand checks. One time I did not ask for one coming out of Las Vegas with $1,000+ of exposed film because they were so busy. They stopped the belt on my gear and were standing talking with the picture up on the screen for 2-3 minutes !!

I freaked, not realizing they were just looking at the existing image, not constantly bombarding the film with new X-rays (I think? never sure.) I apologized for flipping out.

Coming out of Detroit I asked for a hand check for film. Thay asked how much time I had and said it might take an hour! I just smiled and said fine, I had 2 hours+ before my flight. Only took 5 minutes - they just didn't want to do it!

Best,
    Michael