A revisit to an old theme...

Recently I flew from Hartford to Phoenix, upon the gate of St Peters where one is complete strip down and scanned, I asked whether my sheets/rolls films can be hand inspected. The very friendly security officer agreed with a smile as if these sort of thing happens regularly, she took the large zip lock bag of films to the end of the line and started wiping it down. Seemingly all is well as I got dressed and collected my belongings, that is until they got to the opened boxes of sheet film and before I can run over and object, the inspector shook open the box in one smooth motion, viola! Unexposed film is now basked in the glorious florescent lights. As I am trying to move over as fast as I can, shouting as urgently without causing people to get into gun ready state of nervousness, they exposed second box of films.

The casualty counts is two almost full 50 sheets boxes of film. How they explained is that they have to inspected any film where it factory seal is broke open, that is if you want them to hand inspect. One can always opt letting the film go through the x-ray. Having them check the opened boxes of film even if one is to provide them with a black bag is completely up to the discretion of the on duty supervisor. Obviously this scenario only matters to sheet film users.

So my questions, how have people dealt with this traveling with opened boxes of sheet films? going out would be easier enough as one can just bring fresh un-open films but on the return leg...? Does USPS, or other currier such as Fedx or UPS x-ray boxes?