I have been doing some research into the history of Holmes, Booth & Haydens lenses and I am looking for users and collectors to kindly submit information about their lenses. If you have an HBH lens in your collection, it would just take a minute to answer a few relevant questions and email them to me at the following e-mail address: hbh at gordonmoat dot com

Here are the questions:

1) What is the serial number?

2) Is the serial number stamped (in block letters) or engraved (in script)?

3) Is your model factory cut for stops? It's easy enough to determine: if it is cut for stops and the inscriptions are on the opposite side of the lens from the focusing knob, with the cut-out for the stops in between, then it is from the factory. If the cut-out interferes with the inscriptions or is on the side opposite the focusing knob, then it is an after-market alteration.

4) What is the focal length, measured from the mid-point between the lenses (where the stop would be placed)?

You can also add any information that is unique to your lens, for example: does yours have an original lens cap or is there some proof of provenance, such as a signature or engraving somewhere on the lens?

You may also include your name and your website/blog address, if you like.

If anyone has some other verifiable information regarding the history of HBH lenses, please make that known as well. Although there is some information about the HBH company, very little documentation seems available about their lens operation.

Thank you very much for your help. I will be posting the results on a dedicated area of my website.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography