Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best 4x5 monorail?

best 4x5 monorail?

mostly for field use for architecture. i have been using a cambo (calumet) 45NX for over 15 years with nary a glitch, and am not unsatisfied, but i am at a pla ce where i can afford whatever camera i might want. i have browsed around some at the sinars, but they generally look a bit overblown and "fancy" for my fairly rigorous field needs. what would you say are the best monorail 4x5s these days for field architectural use in sometimes rugged conditions? thanks.

best 4x5 monorail?

Cambo 45NX.

best 4x5 monorail?

i'm going to try my fortune telling abilities and say the consensus will be ... arca swiss f line. the consensus is probably right. if i'm right do i win anything?

i use a technikardan and will recommend it.

Beverly Hills, California

best 4x5 monorail?

Dear jnorman: As a person with alot less 4x5 shooting years than you, I am going to throw out the Japanese name "TOYO" because otherwise from experience, I know no one else in this thread will. The top of the line 45GX and 45GII are rugged, yet precisely machined, and from what I can see, not surpassed for your needs (rugged architectural use) by any other "more exotic" camera. (That's my observation as a relative newcomer who's also handled Sinars and Cambos.) Andre

best 4x5 monorail?

While I own and enjoy using a Toyo 23G -- the smaller 2x3/6x9 version of the 45G -- I doubt that anyone who can afford any camera they want will be happying carrying around one weighing 12.1 lbs (45GX) or 14.1 lbs (45GII) when there are other, equally nice and much, much lighter monorail designs available.

Personally, my vote would be for an Arca-Swiss F-line. They offer as much flexibility (in every sense of the word) as you will likely need while folding up fairly compactly and not weighing very much compared to similar designs. IMO, they look neat, too. :^)

best 4x5 monorail?

I saw that someone mentioned Toyo earlier, but if you're looking to spend some bucks take a look at the Toyo VX line. Its a monorail system designed for field use. Actually, since you're "in a place where I can afford whatever camera I might want" why don't you go to someplace like B&H in New York and physically handle the cameras. That way you can figure out what you like rather than what we like. I'm sure there are other stores that people might recommend to shop.

best 4x5 monorail?

Linhof Master is a nice field camera as are the the Tech V's. These aren't monos but have a good deal of movements and capabilities for a flatbed.

best 4x5 monorail?

Which is the best wine? The Best car? The nicest woman or man? The Best Monorail? Good grief! I guess I have to second the Arca F line, it is a beautiful camera both light and precise and these two things go very seldom together. Rent one if you can and play with it, very nice indeed!

best 4x5 monorail?

Arca-Swiss FC , ArcaSwiss FC Metric or Linhof TK45s.

. The Toyo is an overpriced clone of the Arca-Swiss F Metric that isn't as fully featured. The Sinar F2 is okay and I recently considered switching to that camera so I borrowedand worked with it for two weeks side by side with the Arca. I decided to keep the Arca F-line.

best 4x5 monorail?

A year ago, I switched from a long used Technika to a VX 125. Although the VX wa s a significant improvement for the use of movements required for interiors and architecture, I lost the very stable construction of the Tech for outdoor use or the use of longer lenses. So I now carry the two cameras with me. If I ha d the means, I would seriously consider the Ebony SV 45 U2. This camera seems to have married the best of both worlds: very good movements of the monorails and stability of the flatbeds, along with the capability of using a broad range of lenses. However, I have not been in measure to see one other than in pictures so far.