Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Quote Originally Posted by jbrianfoto View Post
    Hey there Ice-racer - Very cool work you've done. I'm the Durst-zilla guy
    Yes, I got inspired by your project, thanks for sharing it on the Web.

What are you going to use for the new enlarger's light source or did it come with one?

Wow -

I'm happy to have been the motivation to such an indepth restoration. I am going to follow your idea of sewing the lower bellows-panel. LAter this week I'm going to re-read that section of your article.

As for a light source - I have a T12 Aristo light source, which came with the Beseler 810 conversion (I think it's a T12, it is branded Beseler). This enlarger (got it off Craigslist with a vaccum eacle and a Paville 403 color head for $150 last weekend!) needs some love. I think I'll take more photos and make a Durstzilla II (except this time, I won't be grafting two enlargers together).

A quick note on my Drstzilla - I'm in the military (Reserves) and we had to move last year (short notice). I tried for several weeks to sell the enlarger chassis locally (Tucson) - then tried to give it away. Sadly I had no takers, so I removed the CB7 parts and took Durstzilla to the landfill (I REALLY HATED doing this, but we had no choice). I vowed to once again own another L184, and as you can see, I'm back in the saddle again.

Mama is signaling that dinner is ready, so I'll have to run. I have loads to talk about and there are plenty of things to solve with my new L184.

Take care,

Jeromie

Wow -

I'm happy to have been the motivation to such an indepth restoration. I am going to follow your idea of sewing the lower bellows-panel. LAter this week I'm going to re-read that section of your article.
    I tried using spray contact cement on one area but it was a disater. I was able to mount that bellows in a location where I don't see it. The sewing method has held up well and the bellows folds and unfolds very well as I move the column up and down.

...I have a T12 Aristo light source, which came with the Beseler 810 conversion (I think it's a T12, it is branded Beseler)...
    That light source is manufactured by Beseler and uses multiple small standard fluorescent tubes. Aristo had nothing to do with it.

Ahhh,

Actually when looking at the tube, it is one long true coiled back and forth, just like in my other head (a T12). It is not several smaller tubes like you described. I am going to contact Aristo and see if they can sell me a V54 tube for it. While I have them on the phone I'll ask them about the manufactuere of this head (not that irt matters much, I just like knowing). Thanks for the input.

Typing on my blackberry, sorry for the typos. After I read your post again I have to ask for claritys sake, did you mean the Beseler light uses several individual standard florescent tubes in each unit or that it used several different types of standard tubes (meaning different colors of tubes were available, but only one long folded tube is actually used in the light head)?

Don't throw out the old bulb if it works. If its a W45, by adding a yellow filter it will print fine with Ilford filters and can be a spare, or can be sold.

Ilford has a printing time conversion table to be used with a W45 bulb and Yellow filter, but I get good consistent exposure between filters without any additional conversion factors.

Nope, I wasn't going to toss out the old bulb - I know about using the CC40Y filter to subtract the extra blue. I changed the w45 tube in my t12 to the v54 and wow, it was great.

IF I could find the right deal, what I really would like is a VC coldlight head for the L184. I have nothing but time, so eventually something will come along. WIl most likely sell my CB7 with the Beseler 810 head to fund the VC head.

Jeromie

Nope, I wasn't going to toss out the old bulb - I know about using the CC40Y filter to subtract the extra blue. I changed the w45 tube in my t12 to the v54 and wow, it was great.

IF I could find the right deal, what I really would like is a VC coldlight head for the L184. I have nothing but time, so eventually something will come along. WIl most likely sell my CB7 with the Beseler 810 head to fund the VC head.

Jeromie
    I saw an Ilford 8x10 MG head with Durst adapter plate go unsold e-pay awhile back. A little on the expensive side though.

...did you mean the Beseler light uses several individual standard florescent tubes in each unit or that it used several different types of standard tubes (meaning different colors of tubes were available, but only one long folded tube is actually used in the light head)?
    I meant four individual straight standard tubes. I was unaware that Beseler ever put its brand nameplate on an Aristo light source. The one I referred to is built by Beseler and has a reputation for very uneven illumination. Go to this page

http://www.beselerphoto.com/

click on "Light Sources" and scroll down to "810 Cold Light Source" to see a picture of it.