Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Microtek M1 user experiences

Re: Microtek M1 user experiences

I scanned up an image last night using the Microtek software. There was noticeable fringing in areas on a chrome that I would not have expected any. Using an Epson 4870 and a 4990, I have scanned many many dozens of chromes and I can't say I ever noticed fringing before.

I think I am just going to return my M1 and probably try a V750. Too bad, I had high hopes for the scanner.

Microtek actually finally phoned me today and later today I'll be working with a technical support person to troubleshoot. I think the issues with Scan Wizard Pro are what they are and it's going to work for some folks and not others. I believe the software deserves a major rewrite into something simpler to install without problems and more stable. I'm pretty sure Silverfast will need to release a new build of AI Studio in order to address what seems like a widespread problem.

Has anyone else seen any fringing issues with chromes? I'm only scanning black and white now, so this is a new issue to me.

I would like to hear from our European counterparts. Are they also having the same problems with the F1? What are their impressions and/or problems with the F1 so far?
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    The clicking, snapping, clanking and whirring noises that are, when first heard, very frightening, are the autofocus at work.
    As described they sound like my AgfaDuoScan T2500 (made by Microtek a while back) - the initialization process makes sure all the mirrors and lens assemblies (associated with the two resolution modes) are in known starting positions and switching them makes the noises - it was interesting to watch it happen with the cover off, all the levers and springs required to reconfigure the optics. The M1 looks like , and by these posts, also sounds like a somewhat revamped version of the 2500f or T2500 - to keep the pricepoint down, it's reasonable to expect them to use the old parts/inventory/tooling over. Better electronics/sensor array (we hope with better signal to noise) and AF would then be the "update" - the AF would presumably have some servo noise in addition.

Wow, this thread is enlightening. I must thank Barry, Harley, Colin and John for sharing their experiences with us. Hopefully you guys will get this sorted out soon. I know many are keeping an eye on this forum since there's quite a bit of interest in this scanner. I've been waiting since it was announced and now unfortunately it's not looking too promising.

Honestly, the more I read about this machine, the more I think I'm just gonna spring for an Epson. Personally, the lack of ICE with the Microtek is a big negative as is the poor OEM software. At least the Epson's software is decent and Vuescan and Silverfast both support the V700/750. I'm also not too inspired by Microtek's customer support record.

Initially, I was intrigued by the M1 primarily because it had the ability to focus but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it's not really necessary. Once you find the point of optimum focus for your scanner and given a good film holder (Doug's or wet mount for example), every frame thereafter shouldn't need focusing since the lens and film are always in the same place. In this case, it seems that the focusing mechanism would only add extra moving parts that could potentially fail and leads to increased scan times.

Convert to LF

I have been waiting more than one year to see the first review of the Microtek. Finally, tired of waiting, and one week before the product was made available, I bought the Epson V700 and upgraded to SF AI. I am quite happy, and my 1800 dpi scans look as good as the low-res scan from the shop...
    Thank to the tips and hints found in the following thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&goto=lastpost, my BW negatives scanned in 48 RGB mode make very good prints.

BTW, have any of you guys had a chance to make any decent scans and if so, how do you feel they compare with the Epsons? I think that's what many here are waiting impatiently to find out. I know Vincent Oliver (www.photo-i.co.uk) is waiting on his review unit which is being supplied by Silverfast (Microtek Europe turned down his request) but I imagine his is being delayed due to these problems with Silverfast and the M1.

Aside from my software issues, the black and white scan quality is excellent. I feel like the M1 is doing a pretty good job with sharpness and dynamic range. I have an Epson 2450 and the M1 is clearly better--something would be terribly wrong if it wasn't. It would be nice to see a head to head comparison of the M1 and V700/750 because those are the choices in the $500-$700 price range.

I had a second conversation with a very nice Microtek rep and he's trying to do anything necessary to address my problems. At this point, I feel like I have Silverfast's and Microteks' attention and I'm willing to see if the problems can be worked out.

I couldn't be happier with the quality of the scans. The scanwizard interface is growing on me, and seems capable of the same level of scan as Silverfast; er, my level at least, I'm still pretty new at this. I'm coming from an Epson 3200 and the quality is stunningly better, but then I only have a 3200 to compare it to. I'm seeing limitations of lenses and shoddy focusing technique but I'm not really seeing softness from the scanner, other than the effect from digitization. I'm not using any filters at the scanning stage.

The only issues I'm having are with the strange bars at high rez with Silverfast, but I only have the SE edition and don't use it much because of the 8 bit ceiling. Scanwizard has been stable on my rig. Sometimes CS3 will crash if I import sections of a panorama back to back for photomerge, but I think this is more of a photoshop memory issue with the large file sizes. If I save and close the first import first before importing more there are no problems.

Anyway, I also started thinking back to the initial setup of this scanner and remember having to uninstall and reinstall things because of the picky order of setup. The first install was pretty buggy. Also I uninstalled and reinstalled for a scanwizard patch that was released post purchase...And finally, I'm not running the weird scanner server utility that loads up from the registry, I got rid of that. Maybe if you're using more than one Microtek scanner you might need it, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    "I am convinced that these are all memory issues and that unfortunately this machine requires ridiculous amounts of ram."

It's not the machine, it's the scanning software, or (more likely) the driver software.

My guess is that if you were to scan a smaller image (exactly as small as the good areas on your images) you would avoid this problem, because you would never reach that limit, and therefore never reach that part of the code.

It's just a guess, but as a software engineer, it seems logical to me.
    Not saying that you are wrong, but if it is the case then Microtek have got some very serious QC issues indeed.

Steve