Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your apprach to Photography

Your apprach to Photography

This is more of a general query on photgraphy in general:
    Do you find that you have to be in a certain 'mood' to go out and see and take pictures that mean something to you or is it just me being weird?
    Sometimes, I just can't seem to take pictures and sometimes quite a bit of time (like 2 weeks) will pass by with me never seeming to see anything or be compelled to go out shooting. Other times, I go out every day and it just 'clicks'. (that can have a dual meaning - )

Re: Your apprach to Photography

Sometimes I read poetry and it is just a bunch of words. Then later I read the same poems and they are infused with meaning. Blame on the brain chemicals...

Life is so crazy-busy. It can be hard to make the time to photograph or make prints...then when it hurts so much not to get out and photograph, I make the time. At those times, I am ready (or I just walk through the redwoods with the 8x10 until I am.)

Vaughn

Just waiting to be developed..

Hi Lucas,

Your not weird. I have the same, maybe ill call it a photographers block.
    When i go out, i have to be into it. I have to feel the subject and be able to visualize the image before i press the cable release.
    There have been many time im out, i setup the tripod, focus and load a back into the camera.
    Then i just stand there. 10 or 20 minutes go by and i still dont feel it. I then leave and wait for another time when the mood feels right.
    Maybe thats not the best way to explain it. Between outings, sometime i wont pick up a camera for months.
    Then i wont put them down for weeks. Ill run through boxes of 4x5 and many rolls of 120.
    When i show up at the lab, their usually shocked, mostly because they cant read my handwriting

I hope that helps!
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

It is very normal, unfortunately.
    I have realized that many times I start seeing when heading back to the car.
    It is because the tension of forcing my vision is gone and I let go.
    Then all kind of stuff start popping out and I am ready.
    In those moments I am able to take 3/4 shots I really like in a 10 ft. radius,...when I am lucky.

I try to keep a camera in the car all the time. It's surprising how often I see something to photograph while driving around in the normal course of a day that I'd never know of ahead of time or that I'd never notice under different lighting or other conditions. I don't always stop to make the photograph but a lot of times I do. Freeways and interstates can be frustrating for photography - too often there's no way to safely pull over, no exit nearby, and no way to back up or turn around to make a photograph. But city streets, country roads, etc. can produce some interesting things solely by chance when you have a camera right at hand.

If you ever suffer a serious case of "photographer's block," or if you just want an interesting read, try the book "Art and Fear" by Ted Orland and David Bayles.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I was experiencing this and still do. I posted almost the same question and got some great responses and ideas from many members in this community. I have found much of the advice very helpful. Here's the link to the original thread...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=28912

Nate

Beats work.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Beats work.
    That definitely puts it in perspective, Walter.

Lack of inspiration is a fairly common ailment, I think. For me, thumbing through a couple of photo books usually pulls me out of the doldrums. Other times, forcing myself to photograph something mundane, and do something different with it, will work.

My inspiration is simple - the weekend. Friday after work I prep my gear, Saturday and Sunday I shoot whatever I have been thinking about all week. Gotta love a day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Beats work.
    Love it. And why I'll set up my studio stuff in the dining room for weeks on end to play when I'm not interested in braving the weather. It makes me look for things when I'm out on errand that are interesting to photograph, or learn to photograph - I'm a trial and error learner, and digital has been a boon to me to play and even learn.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean