Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Ritter 8x10

Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

The Ted Harris Memorial Weekend was a hoot - at one point we had three of Richard's 8x10s in a row. Being photographers, we were too incompetent to make a picture of them lined up... Those of us using them had a good time, and I have new negatives to print. Good ol' Alice keeps delivering the goods.

Richard tells me that he's working on my 5x7 back-with-bellows, which will then accept a 4x5 reducing back. Sounds good to me: one less bellows to carry, more compact to carry. Should be fun.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    The Ted Harris Memorial Weekend was a hoot - at one point we had three of Richard's 8x10s in a row. Being photographers, we were too incompetent to make a picture of them lined up... Those of us using them had a good time, and I have new negatives to print. Good ol' Alice keeps delivering the goods.
    LOL That's too funny Bruce, maybe we will have to have special weekend for everyone with a Richard Ritter camera once they have all gone out (even if we can't all get together at the same place).

Last word from Richard was he was working on the backs, and bellows were in. Should not be long now - and to honest, don't mind waiting - besides, what do you call a custom, custom camera?
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castles View Post
    LOL That's too funny Bruce, maybe we will have to have special weekend for everyone with a Richard Ritter camera once they have all gone out (even if we can't all get together at the same place).

Last word from Richard was he was working on the backs, and bellows were in. Should not be long now - and to honest, don't mind waiting - besides, what do you call a custom, custom camera?
    That could be a lot of fun. Maybe sometime spring-ish next year? I'll keep it in mind, and thanks for the idea.
    Bruce Barlow
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    The Ted Harris Memorial Weekend was a hoot - at one point we had three of Richard's 8x10s in a row. Being photographers, we were too incompetent to make a picture of them lined up...
    I don't think we were too incompetent, I believe it was the lunatik screaming at us to get out of his otherwise empty parking lot that preclueded the photograph...

Bump

I'm bumping this thread to see if those of you who now have these 8x10s from Richard can give some honest opinions.

How much does it weigh in use with a typical lens? (anyone weigh theirs?)
    Is is worth the expense? (PM me if needed )
    Any down-side to this camera?
    Things you would want changed or would have liked to special ordered?

Cool Things I would like to change

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post

The biggest change I would like to see happen is.......................

SWMBO's Vise-Grip clamp on the purse strings. Then I could buy one of Mr. Ritter's 8x10 cameras.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Re: Bump

I'm bumping this thread to see if those of you who now have these 8x10s from Richard can give some honest opinions.

Mine just arrived this past weekend, but I do have some first impressions.

Weight - no scales, but I was shocked how light the box was when I picked it up at the Post Office. Out of the box it is such a joy to handle.

Was is worth the expense? Guess that falls under the heading of how much can you afford to spend. Have used a few older cameras (that I do love), but this one is all I expected it to be. Can say it was less than a new Canham, which would have been a 2nd choice - but I feel I got what I wanted (and it is not a standard 8x10 Ritter).

Down-side: Not yet, but to fair, have not had it long enough.

Special Order - Yes, Richard made mine with 8x10 and 7x11 backs, so I feel like it is a special order. Everything from the bale-back, to the light weight to the near perfect fit and finish is what I hoped for.

Need to get a couple of lens boards for the smaller Fuji lens (Copal No. 1 shutter) from Richard - I could cut my own, but he does such a great job, I like the way the camera looks with his lens boards.

Current lens mounted for the camera is an Caltar 375mm in an Ilex 5. Now this is a big lens as most of you know, and I am pleased with how the front standard handles this beast. The photo I posted here is a view of the GG with the 375mm.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

I first read this post over 3 hours ago, so I have given it a lot of thought.

The camera weighs < 6.5 lbs. Add the weight of your "typical" lens and there you go. I'm not trying to be funny here, but I have no idea what the "typical" 8x10 lens weighs. YMMV.

Is it worth the expense? If this means would I replace it if it were to be destroyed? The answer is a resounding YES.

Any down-side? This is where the thought comes in. Somebody might have an issue, but I haven't experienced any. I did have someone e-mail me to say he needed a shorter screw for his Ries because the standard length screw would contact the worm drive. Ries supplied the shorter screw for $25.

I already owned a Ritter 7x17 when I placed my order, so I was pretty familiar with the camera upon its arrival. I had Richard modify mine to accept Zone VI 8x10 lens boards, but he can make adapters for any lensboard you might already own. If you are going to order a camera from Richard, I would STRONGLY recommend you give Richard a call to discuss it. I'm left handed and Richard suggested some modifications to make my camera easier for a lefty to use. Since the rest of my cameras are "righty" I opted to not make those suggested changes. I already owned 4x5 and 5x7 reducing backs for my Zone VI 8x10. I told Richard when I ordered my camera, that I wanted the back to be able to accept those reducing backs. The reducing backs fit my Ritter 8x10 like a charm.

Count me as a happy customer

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Somebody might have an issue, but I haven't experienced any. I did have someone e-mail me to say he needed a shorter screw for his Ries because the standard length screw would contact the worm drive. Ries supplied the shorter screw for $25.
    that was me, yes the shorter Ries screw works. With the original (longer) tripod screw, I was only able to get a few threads in before it hits the focusing worm/screw on the camera. I'm not quite sure the reason for the camera not having either the hole offset, or the focusing worm offset. But with the shorter tripod screw I've had no problems putting the camera on my tripod. Fortunately, Ries heads have interchangeable screws, and they were willing to make me a custom screw. I guess their standard screw is a bit longer than other tripod screws?
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I had to get a 3/8"screw from Hamshaw's (the local hardware store) to modify a Bogen hexagonal mounting plate...thirty five cents, if I recall. Then I had to file it shorter, which took 5 minutes. It was the shortest one they had, and was still a tad long.

Alice is still producing the goods. Just signed up for an 8x10 portrait project, and have a week in Maine coming up real soon...
    Bruce Barlow
    www.brucewbarlow.com