Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Richard Ritter 8x10

Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    A long time ago a master photographer I was studying with broke me of the habit of using levels and detentes. First thing I did to my Zone VI cameras both the 4 x 5 and the 8 x 10 was to file out the detentes.
    Thanks Richard! I've always hated the front detent on my Zone VI. Its hard to get move the lens board when its close to that spot.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    ... a grope of photographers ...
    How true.

I totally agree with Richard in terms of LF not really being a "slow" format. More often than not, things I find interesting are fleeting moments. The RR 8x10 is certainly on my 'dream camera' list.

After playing with Richard's 8x10 for the past few days, it indeed is a dream camera. Talk about speed in LF format, aside from its main attraction(lightweight) it can accommodate a lens being mounted on the camera while being folded, I don't think there are many, if any modern variation can do that. I love the fact the front standard fold into itself just like an old Deardorff and with its base and axial tilt, there are greater flexibility with short lens. The levels are a nice touch, now I can retire my key tag level from Autozone.

Several minor, very minor negatives, I hope this is allowed The plastic end caps for the tubes are not solidly set in place, one cap already went missing. Nothing to handicap any functions, it's more like a cosmetic issue. No hand strap, no problem either, just grab the base plate. Bale, I always find this type of bail to be cumbersome because of its taunt-ness, one need to hold down the camera while jam it in place. I found the Cambo thumb lever operated bail are much nicer but that is an entirely different beast. So most likely I will just take the bail off.

I am still playing with the rail system, it seems that it need to be a certain way before the camera can fold to its minimum size, and if this is the case, maybe some marking for that exact location might be come in handy for any first time handler. Again, not a deal breaker.

The last two issues are probably just personal ones, I wish the lens board is either a Sinar or Deardorff but since it came with a Linhof adapter, it'll do for now. Second is that the slightly larger dimension because of the front standard knobs made what was already tight fit with my Deardorff into my pack a jamming session now Again, no big deal, just new adaptation like everything else new in life.

Thank you Nelson, and Richard for your ingenuity and creativity.

There must be quiet a few of these beautiful cameras out there now. Does anyone else have any comments on what they are like to use? Would love to read some more user reviews.

Am seriously considering buying one. Anyone in Sydney have one that I could visit?

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

I don't have one yet, but i would like to get one at some point so i have researched the camera.

If you haven't already, i suggest buying the DVD from his website illustrating the ULF cameras. The 8x10's are just smaller versions for the most part so you get a good look at setup and use. I particulalry like the asymmetric rear swing. I have that feature on my Wehman and i would not want to be without it on a future camera.

http://www.circleofthesunproductions...nersManual.htm

Was out with mine yesterday. 6 degrees Fahrenheit, big gloves on and no problems operating my Ritter.

With Phillips and Wehman out what other lightweight choices are there? Chamonix? It's heavier than a Ritter but about the same as a Wehman.......has anyone compared the Chamonix to the Ritter? I'm asking because a few weeks ago I was about to pull the trigger on a Wehman. Then I found out that he quit so now I'm back in the research cycle for what my next choice would be now that the Wehman is out. The Ritter tube system looks...eclectic...but I like that weight. But the Chamonix looks sweet. But, but, but....

Ok.. So I have watched the DVD.. And am getting closer to buying one of these...

Yet I am still hoping to hear from some other users out there... Please throw in your two cents worth...

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Metcalf View Post
    Ok.. So I have watched the DVD.. And am getting closer to buying one of these...

Yet I am still hoping to hear from some other users out there... Please throw in your two cents worth...
    Hi Leonard,
    I have used the Ritter 8x10 for a few hundred sheets of film so far. I am pleased with the camera, it is a backpackers dream imo - very light yet still retains it's rigidity. My longest and heaviest lens I have used
    is a 24" RDA in a copal 3 and it handles it without problem. The shortest lens I have used is a 159mm Wollensak velostigmat that I had no problems with either. I am a happy customer but their are some nits I have as well with it.
    The plastic ground glass isn't the brightest. I replaced it with a canham ground glass that is over a stop and 1/2 brighter. No big deal if you have fast lenses, but it was near impossible to focus the 159mm lens which is a f9 with the original gg.
    The little plugs that go into the end of the tubes pop out if you look at them wrong, purely cosmetic but annoying none the less. On my camera the screws that hold the rear standard to the bracket on the tubes came loose and you have to poke
    around with a tiny allen wrench through the cork to try and find the blind screw head to tighten up, no biggie, but a nuisance. The only real flaw I can find with camera is that the front standards axis tilt mechanism is near impossible to fully lock
    down no matter how hard you try to tighten the knobs you can still tilt the lensboard unknowingly while cocking the shutter etc. I don't know if this is only my camera's problem or a design problem with all Ritters. Those are the only things that annoy me about the camera, and for the most part it is an excellent performer
    and will probably be the last 8x10 camera I ever purchase because it just works great for my uses.
    regards
    Erik