Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Snow Chains for AWD car?

Re: Best Snow Chains for AWD car?

I have an Outback wagon and there are a couple of considerations that haven't been mentioned. First, there are chains and then there are chains. I've used both cables and chains and personally I prefer chains. IMO chains are far superior for traction.

Having said that, you should check your owner's manual for recommendations about chains. A lot of recent cars can only use "S-class" chains due to limited clearance between the tire and the suspension. If you try to use regular chains on such a car, you'll likely do damage.

Studded snow tires are an option, but depending on where you are going they may not get you past a roadblock. Here in California there are "chain stops" run by Caltrans or the highway patrol entering the higher-elevation areas of the mountains (where I live is at 6100'), and studded tires are NOT considered to be "traction devices" by the state. What is strange is that good studded tires are probably at least as good as cables, but cables pass muster and studded tires don't. Check the rules where you intend to go.

As for what wheels to put chains on, when I chain my Outback I put them on the front, since it helps to have the traction to pull the front end in the direction I want to go. When I chain my Toyota 4x4 truck I usually put them on the back, since that is where the truck is lightest and needs the most help. I carry chains for all four wheels for the truck, and there have been a very few occasions where I chained all four wheels. It's pretty amazing what you can get through with good snow tires and chains all around on a 4x4 with ground clearance. I'd just plan on using one set on your Subaru, you'll end up more limited by snow depth vs ground clearance than you will by lack of traction, as the Outback AWD is really pretty good.

In many areas of California, in moderate snow conditions you can get through a stop if you have all-weather tires and 4WD or AWD, but you must have chains with you, and often you'll have to show them to the officer. The officer can decide that everyone needs to chain up no matter what they are driving, and if you don't have chains on in such conditions they can cite you. YMMV, depending on where you are going. Also bear in mind that AWD helps you go, chains help you stop, and it's usually the stopping part that's going to keep you from wrinkling metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    Also bear in mind that AWD helps you go, chains help you stop, and it's usually the stopping part that's going to keep you from wrinkling metal.
    The most important point, chains to stop, especially going down the icy hill. When things are not totally awful the Explorer with chains sits by the barn and the Yukon with 4WD goes down the hill in 4 wheel Low in first or second gear.

For driving on flat surfaces take a look at Green Diamond tires (http://www.greendiamondtire.com/). We've got them on all the vehicles.

I have a question, I too have a Subaruu, a legacy, and I have studded tyres for the winter, however, I am planning a trip down a seldom plowed icy road 60 miles into the bush, someone mentioned in that case I should also get chains does anyone know if you put chains on studded tyres? It seems a bit redundant but with temps down to -40 I really don't want to get stuck....

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltoncs View Post
    I have a question, I too have a Subaruu, a legacy, and I have studded tyres for the winter, however, I am planning a trip down a seldom plowed icy road 60 miles into the bush, someone mentioned in that case I should also get chains does anyone know if you put chains on studded tyres? It seems a bit redundant but with temps down to -40 I really don't want to get stuck....
    Yes,

You can run chains on Studded tires, I have had to do it quite often living where I live(I currently have 7 feet of snow in my yard!) Chains and studded tires are something we deal with year in and year out, due to the snow environment. I also carry chemical ice melt as well as a shovel in the winter time around here and a survival box in the car with me, just in case all else fails, the box contains small food stuffs and water, a small one burner propane stove and a couple of bic lighters.

Dave

Dave Karp

Vinny,

I have a Forester. We use Shur Grip cables by SCC. They seem to have worked fine when we have used them in Yosemite. If I recall, they go on the front tires only, and you can go about 35 mph. This information is undoubtedly in the owner's manual.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'm so happy to stumble onto this thread. I have the least snow-worthy car imaginable, and it's been making frequent ice climbing trips to the adirondacks this winter. we'be been lucky most of the time. but one trip was an exercise in death defiance. the car is small, front wheel drive, and has no limited slip in the transaxle (so if one wheel spins, the other just sits there). i'd like to get my hands around someone's nece at general motors.

but anyway. would the chains/cables under discussion here be suitable for a car like that, for the front wheels? i'd want something to keep stowed in the back just in case.

David,

I have successfully used cable chains with pretty good success here in Montana during the winter on front wheel drive, The 4wd went out on one of my subaru wagons and I only had front wheel drive and was able to get back and forth with just the FWD and chains for two winters, just make sure to get a set that is the correct size and make sure they are tight enough not to spin out and off the tire..

But yes, they do help, even in the traction dept when needed. And I live with snow and ice from October to at a minimum of late April every year, this year, it will probably be late May before I see the green yard again! LOL

Dave

My wife has owned an Outback wagon for 6 or 7 years here in Colorado. Her previous cars had snow tires for the winter so she got them for the Suby the first year. That was the only time she ever used them, only using an all season tire. She drove that Suby 40 miles in 18" of fresh snow during the 2003 Denver blizzard and did not get stuck. Pretty impressive to me
    I've had similar positive experiences with the Subaru. I picked up a 2006 Outback and this winter have put it through its paces with 6 major snow storms. I've put four Michelin X-ICE 16" tires on Subbie stainless steel rims (saving the Aluminums for fair weather driving only). This Subbie is like a hot knife through butter! Having come from a Toyota 4Runner, I was a bit skeptical about the performance I could expect from the Outback. All I can say is that the Subaru is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Throw a Thule Expedition carrier on the roof and you double the cargo capacity. Hard to justify the high cost, gas guzzling, maintenance intensive 4Runner when the Subbie can be be had for roughly half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I'm looking on Amazon.com. I've got a AWD subaru wagon. There are cable and chain versions. Some with stretchy bungees. The easier to install, the better as i'd need to do all for tires i assume.
    Can anybody recommend a brand/type?

vinny
    I can't recommend a brand but I bought my chains at: www.tirechains.com.

For those who notice that I live in South Carolina, I don't need them down here very often. I bought them for use when I'm out west in the late fall and early winter.

Hope this helps,

wfwhitaker

Take a look at the Spikes-Spider (http://www.spikes-spiders.com/). They're expensive, but they're nice and more convenient than chains. I had a VW GTI on which I could not use chains, so I had to use the Spikes-Spider. I belive mine was the "Quick" model.