Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Importance of Swing and other movements in LF Cameras

Preston Birdwell

Re: Importance of Swing and other movements in LF Cameras

I used all the movements available on my Tachihara, either singly or in combinations depending upon the photograph I wanted to make. Typically, I will use front tilt/swing/rise-fall. I will sometimes use a bit of back tilt or swing to change the shape of objects in the frame, or to correct convergence, if I am shooting architecture.

I love that Tachi, but wish it had front and rear shift, and rear rise/fall. But, I makes do with what I gots. :-)

-PB

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Front rise and fall are most important, but I often use a little bit of swing too. Shift is less important in landscapes.

The landscapes around here tend to be so far from flat that it's more like architecture photography, except that noone complains if the cliffs seem to be leaning over.

I just get under the darkcloth and experiment with all the options. You can do all the expected movements, but sometimes you can discover unusual relationships in the image. This is what is so amazing about a view camera.
    Have fun with your Arca. I have the F-line field version and it is fabulous.
    -Brad

blanco_y_negro

I cannot imagine not using any movements on a camera. What's the purpose of a view camera if you don't use movements? Well, yes, the image quality is another reason but movements, including shift, are needed many times. In my case I think I'm using mostly rise/fall and tilt. Contrary to what some of us indicate, movements are important to me even in landscape photography.
    E.Z.

I am fortunate to own one of Richard Ritter's 7x17 ULF cameras. It has asymetrical rear swing. I find this to be a great asset. My most recent experience with rear swings was a New England graveyard with a white picket fence in the foreground. My most used movements are front rise/fall and rear tilt. The only movement NOT available on Richard's ULF cameras is rear rise, but front fall accomplishes the same thing. I also enjoy the fact that the entire back/bellows can be converted from horizontal to vertical, in the field, in about 3 minutes. This is much easier than dealing with 2 tripods to get a vertical. Richard has recently begun taking orders for an 8x10 camera. I haven't seen one yet, but based on my experience with his ULF, I have one on order. Richard's 8x0 camera is available with a large assortmment of backs. If you are looking for a lightweight field camera that doesn't compromise on movements, check out Richard's offerings.

This is the first image in which I really used swings, I just kinda took an idea and ran with it. This would not have been possible without using swing.

Thumbs up Re: Importance of Swing and other movements in LF Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Skorzen View Post
    This is the first image in which I really used swings, I just kinda took an idea and ran with it. This would not have been possible without using swing.

That's a wonderful photo. How much swing and/or what camera did you use to achieve this one?

Eric Woodbury

Good question. I take mostly landscape and abstracts. I use the front rise/fall and the rear tilt the most. Sometimes rear swing. I don't like to tilt much on the front so that the image circle doesn't move. As was mentioned, I too would take sturdiness over any additional movements.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    That's a wonderful photo. How much swing and/or what camera did you use to achieve this one?
    This is an old B&J 4X5 folding View camera, I don't know exactly how much swing I used but I am guessing somewhere around 20 degrees of rear swing, in hindsight (and maybe if I had a loupe on me) I would have liked a little more so that the focal plane extended to the crucifix.

Most of my stuff is standard back tilt or front rise, whether on my Osaka (Tachihara) or or on the Arca. However, I'm starting to explore a little more with shallow DOF and bringing focal plane on primary subject which means swing, tilt, whatever it takes to isolate the subject.
    Laurent