Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpest 67 set up?

Sharpest 67 set up?

Hi,

For those occasions when the slow working method of the generally large 54 and tripod etc aren't possible to get the shot what handheld (and sometimes tripod if you can) options do we think will provide the sharpest large prints from the smaller, more portable 67 (not 69) options, whilst still having the ability using different focal length lenses, etc?

By large prints I am talking about over 24 inches wide and up to 40 inches on occasions.
    And by sharp I am talking not about close up or studio situations where even a top dslr can do well but with the distant focus detail of city and landscapes.

Its not for any close up work, just the type of landscapes you would use a 54 camera for, so helioid / rangefinder focussing and viewfinder viewing is fine?
    The Mamiya 7 with the fabled 43mm and other lenses?
    An Alpa SW or similar with some pin sharp large format lenses (schneider xl / sironar s etc) which also gives you some shift movement for the tripod occasions with this camera?
    A horseman or other make version of the above?

Marc

Re: Sharpest 67 set up?

I've always been delighted with both older Hasselblad (6x6) and Mamiya RB67 (6x7) equipment. Each has it's own benefits and drawbacks, but the images are wonderful.

The Hasselblad is helicoil focusing, while the RB relies on a bellows. The RB is much heavier. Both have a wonderful range of lenses and backs as well as viewfinders.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Marc, my favorite small LF-like camera is a Hasselblad Arcbody. Lenses are Rodenstock APO-Grandagons 35, 45 an 75mm and I made an adapter / extension ring for an Apo-Sironar digital 150mm. This lens is tack sharp! Perfect for travelling and climbing!

I'm voting for my Mamiya 7. The lenses are fabled for a reason.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Handheld??? The Press cameras following 4X5

Mamiya Press with the Universal offering widest options and the Super 23 offering some slight bellows activity on the back.
    Graflex XL.... If you can find one with all 3 focusing tabs
    Konica Press

All have 6X7 rollback options... The Universal offers 6X9. The Mamiya K style backs are reputed to be the leader in film flatness. Graflex backs with the extra pin rollers at the ends of the frame and in front of the film excellent for film flatness.

All the varied lens options (Mamiya has the most) are Sharp, Sharp, Sharp.

And almost all these cameras and all accessories are reasonably priced unless near mint. However, demand seems to be rising and so prices on the nice ones.

My personal favorite is the Mamiya Universal, equipped with a 50mm, 75mm, 100/2.8 and 127. The 50 and 75 will almost cover 4X5 at infinity, with some vignetting. The
    75 and the 2.8 100 are incredibly sharp. The 50 and 75 need finders.

There are cut sheet and roll film backs, as well as graflok and vertical, horizontal adaptors, not to mention Ground Glass viewing adaptors, if you can find all those pieces.

The Mam RB67 was mentioned, plus there is the Bronica GS-1 at 6X7, both incredibly sharp and a wide array of lenses. Then there is the Pentax 67 with prism ttl viewing, interchangable screens and fair choice of lens. Don't forget the atrociously expensive Plaubel Makina 67.

The Graflex XL comes in rangefinder, and Superwide, with a 47mm lens choice. The big caveat as I mentioned before on the Graflex is the weak link in focusing tabs. Normal handling of these cameras over the years has broken one or more of these tabs off. It's a plastic ring and weak design at the tabs almost precludes repair. However I think there are a couple of people who do such work.

Mamiya 7ii, rangefinder, leaf-shutter unfeasably sharp negatives ...

I agree with the RB67 versus 'blad. For some reason I can hand-hold and focus an RB successfully, but can't focus a 'blad worth a damn.

He, he, I have to chuckle. With me, 4x5 IS the lightweight option to get the shot fast, or in situations when I can't carry the larger cameras. My 4x5 Super-Graphic can be up and on the tripod in 15 seconds and I can be composing the shot.

(A tripod mounted $150 Kowa will beat the handheld $12,000 Alpa.... so investing in an excellent, fast to use and easy to carry tripod and monopod would be the the greatest "bang for buck" way to spend money to get ultimate sharpness...)

Any of the rigid bodies - Mamiya 7, Alpa, etc. will do better than a flexible body.

Either the Mamiya 7 lenses or using the Digital View Camera lenses on the Alpa will be the absolute sharpest. Using a common Sironar-S or Symmar-L designed for 4x5 won't be as sharp.

Of course you need a superior scanner and technician/skills to realize the difference as well, no point in having a $10K camera and trying to scan it on an Epson.

The Mamiya 7II is a really great portable camera with some fabulous lenses. I prefer it over a Hasselblad as the 7II has a weight and bulk advantage.

Mamiya 7II. The lenses are superb. I also have a Hasselblad system. The Mamiya rangefinder lenses are equal.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html