Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 750mm Apo-Germinar

In the desert...

Re: 750mm Apo-Germinar

Is coverage similar to Nikkor 760 mm, which can be put into shutter. The Toyo G with the 1200 mm bellows handles these lenses nicely.

Dave I dont have the answer to your question, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    That is the correct concept, yes. In bright sunlight, if you want clouds to disappear, then you will have to use a neutral density filter to get your exposure times very long.
    Gene, do you have a pointer to these neutral density filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Krusche View Post
    On the pic is shown the 750 lens mounted before the 5FS shutter and showing the control unit.
    Can you share with us any details of the shutter mentioned above? I am not familiar with this and have a barrel 750mm Apo Germinar that I would like to mount it to. Where does one acquire this shutter and what is the cost?

I have a Linhof Color Karden that could manage this lens very nicely.

Many thanks

Re: 750mm Apo-Germinar and Compur 5FS

Can you share with us any details of the shutter mentioned above?
    Michael
    After manipulating Joerg's equipement I started hunting for a Compur 5FS and got one.
    They show up from time to time on ****, and of course, more often from ****-Germany.
    The main problem is to find somebody able to repair them. Depending on where you live on the planet, this can be straightforward (probably Joerg's situation ) or a real nightmare. One of the major issues is the depletion of parts for repair, we are in the situation of the last years when European companies operating the Concorde had to cannibalize non-flying Concordes in order to get repair parts
    ---
    Not kidding. The shutter is useless without its special cable and without its control unit.
    So if you look for one, be sure that you have a starter-kit with the 3 items that actually woirk ; the shutter itself, the cable and the control box. Erratic contacts at the plug level are a real soure of concern.
    The control box is supplied by standard big 1.5V batteries easy to find worldwide, this is at least a non-issue

The box is a remote control that operates the f-stop and the shutter. Shutter speeds up to 1/60-th, superb for a shutter of this size. No problem for slow speeds, the timing is old-fashion electronic... when the electronics works (typical transistor technology from the sixties, the Apollo mission relied on such electronics, this can be rock-solid for decades but who could repair now the control boxes in an Apollo vessel ?)
    Setting the maximum aperture when mounting a new lens without f-stop scale is done mechanically by positioning a small sliding part on the shutter, this is easy and accessible to anybody who wishes to remount new cells on the shutter.
    f-stop spacing are equidistant. The control box starts at 5.6 and is valid for all lenses when the max aperture setting has been done on the shutter. A switch probably prevents any damage when you request 5.6 on a f/9 apo-ronar. A typical situation seemed that users had more shutters than control boxes, so the control box had to be somewhat universal for all different maximum apertures of various lenses.

Beware however that you might not know the proper spacing between lens cells, a #5 is not as standard as #0,1 and 3 where cell spacing is common to most manufacturers.
    This problem of course does not occur when remounting a barrel lens in front, like Joerg's 750mm Germinar.

When everything works, it is a pleasure to use.
    When something goes wrong, however, you regret not to to have hunted for a Compound #5 or an Ilex#5 !!
    As the saying goes in France, we say : you'll be like a hen that has found a knife.

I do not have the sizes for lensboard mounting threads and lens-cell mounting threads handy right now, but I can find the info upon request.
    To give you an idea: the vintage 5.6-360mm convertible Symmar cannot be mounted on a #3 but is mounetd on the Compur 5FS through reducing rings.
    The 600mm apo ronar fits directly inside the Compur 5FS.

Emmanuel,

merci for your most competent answer .. there is little I can add so I expand on some other aspects of this shutter/lens combination. Whenever someone gets hold of a barrel lens the question is .. which shutter and how to mount the lens on shutter .. and both onto the camera. Since I am playing for some time with repro lenses from various manufacturers with some preference of the long ones 600mm and up to 1200mm (47") I ran into that dilemma. Methods like hat/cap, Galli shutter .. or other lack of reproducibility, linearity etc. .. were discarded.

Two options -- both work

1. Sinar/Copal as behind the lens shutter .. does work .. just need to mount an adapter on Sinar Board (see my previous post).. lens is carried by front standard.

2. Compur 5FS, smooth shutter, strong threads to mount lens before shutter or front and rear elements, use as between the lens shutter. great performance when it works, electrical components may be ageing, if I went on that long distance trip with all the gear, as back up I would take that all mechanical slim Sinar/Copal shutter with an adapter with me as back up.

@ Emmanuel .. I expect/hope to obtain a drawing of the shutter electronics .. perhaps you can read it .. will send you a copy once I have it .. may also eventually meet with someone who knows how to service .. a CLA after 30 years of opration may be advisable.

Re camera system .. I have played with two systems, first a Plaubel Peco Profia system, the standard for german professionals next to the Sinar system, can be had today for little money .. good camera, the front standard holds the 750 with 5FS easily.

The Sinar system front standard holds both systems (see previous post). The Kardan will just smile ...it was a surprise to me that the F standard (5x7) on the Sinar is suitable, used it up to 1000mm and beyoond.

BTW the Rodenstock high resolution repros 16/1000 and 16/1200 are both all-air spaced 6-element lenses .. very similar/though not identical to the long Apo Germinars which means that Zeiss moved ahead earlier and added this to the proven >100 year old Goerz design.

There are also very rare Apo Germinars 14/750 in Copal 3.

Best

Joerg

Emmanuel,

There are also very rare Apo Germinars 14/750 in Copal 3.

Best

Joerg
    I have acquired an Apo Germinar 14.5/750 in a Copal #3 but it is a Doctor Optics lens. Is this the lens you are making reference to as being rare or did Zeiss put some in a Copal #3 that are few in number?

How they got this into a Copal #3 is beyond me, but they did.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I have acquired an Apo Germinar 14.5/750 in a Copal #3 but it is a Doctor Optics lens. Is this the lens you are making reference to as being rare or did Zeiss put some in a Copal #3 that are few in number?

How they got this into a Copal #3 is beyond me, but they did.

Cheers!
    Michael,

sorry my fault, I assumed you had bought one of the 9/750's in barrel that were sold by Kerry, if you have the 14,5/750 ...that is the identical lens design .. it is mounted into a Copal 3 shutter, the housing of the lens is made to fit the shutter, the max opening goes down from 9 to 14,5, that is clear, it was made by Carl Zeiss/Docter .. and it is a pretty rare and desirable lens, so forget my comments on the various shutter options for barrel lenses, thought it was for thr 9/750 in barrel for which I have a further interesting option which I am going to test this weekend, weather permitting, that will allow to mount that 9/750 lens on a simple board incl. shutter onto all camera sytems. Enjoy the 750, it is one of the better 750's.

Best,

Joerg

Michael,

sorry my fault, I assumed you had bought one of the 9/750's in barrel that were sold by Kerry, if you have the 14,5/750 ...that is the identical lens design .. it is mounted into a Copal 3 shutter, the housing of the lens is made to fit the shutter, the max opening goes down from 9 to 14,5, that is clear, it was made by Carl Zeiss/Docter .. and it is a pretty rare and desirable lens, so forget my comments on the various shutter options for barrel lenses, thought it was for thr 9/750 in barrel for which I have a further interesting option which I am going to test this weekend, weather permitting, that will allow to mount that 9/750 lens on a simple board incl. shutter onto all camera sytems. Enjoy the 750, it is one of the better 750's.

Best,

Joerg
    In addition to the 750mm Doctor lens in shutter that we are talking about above, I also acquired one the 750mm Zeiss lenses from Kerry as I wanted to support someone that was doing something very creative in bringing these into the market. I have not used the lens in barrel yet so that was why I was exploring the options.

Thanks or the information.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mosndup View Post
    Gene, do you have a pointer to these neutral density filters?
    Any of the filter manufacturers, either optical glass, or acetate or gel filters such as Lee make Neutral Density filters.

Here is a selection of Gel type 4" x 4" neutral density filters available from B&H photo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t=Submit+Query

Here is a selection of round glass neutral density filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1...l_Density.html