Page 409 of 756 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410411419459509 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 7557

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Dead Trees, Spirit Lake, Mount St. Helens

https://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/
    Very nice mix of patterns and tones. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Trees, Spirit Lake, Mount St. Helens

https://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/
    Hi Austin

I really like this one and also the second 'Spirit Lake' image too

..........what equipment did you/are you using, pse?

I'm assuming (and looking at a few reasonably recent web articles) that 'the Lake' remains full/partly full of floating wood? I drove up there in 1990, St Helens was still smoking, ten years on........the potential for images, no matter what shape or kind offered by Spirit Lake seems to me to be fairly extensive

regards, andrew

Almost half a million views.. I would say this one catched on... big facination with trees it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    I have a fascination with trees, and that's taken up the bulk of my shooting lately. I don't see any threads devoted to tree photographs, so maybe this one will catch on

Here's some few from the past few weekends:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Hi Austin

I really like this one and also the second 'Spirit Lake' image too

..........what equipment did you/are you using, pse?

I'm assuming (and looking at a few reasonably recent web articles) that 'the Lake' remains full/partly full of floating wood? I drove up there in 1990, St Helens was still smoking, ten years on........the potential for images, no matter what shape or kind offered by Spirit Lake seems to me to be fairly extensive

regards, andrew
    Thanks Reedvalve, Harley, and Andrew. Andrew, yes, Spirit Lake still has an enormous mat of logs from the 1980 eruption. The landscape all around that area is truly incredible, and actually a little frightening, at least to me. The sheer scale of what happened there, and the complete transformation of the land, is almost hard to wrap your mind around, even when you're actually there walking around. It's a place I'd love to explore more but unfortunately, it's a little out of reach for a day trip (about three hours one way from Portland to Spirit Lake) so I don't get up there much.

As far as the technical stuff, the panoramic photo was made a few years ago with a Deardorff Special and a Fujinon 250 lens. The film was FP4 rated at 125. The image is roughly the lower half of a 5x7 negative. The other one I just posted I made a couple of weeks ago with a Chamonix 045 F1 and a Nikkor 180 lens. Film was again FP4 125. In direct sunlight, the bleached logs are so white there're almost blinding, and looking back, I probably should have used some development controls to tame the highlights; my negative is pretty burnt, and right at the edge of even being printable. Oh well, I'm learning all the time.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by austin granger; 3-Aug-2014 at 15:02.

thanks Austin

much appreciated

best

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Almost half a million views.. I would say this one catched on... big facination with trees it seems.
    Of course! Alone or together, all different shapes and sizes, alive or dead, whole, or just a part, what's not like about trees?

Jeff and Andrew, thanks for your compliments on my image. Here's another one I made shortly after that one. It's as much about the delicate clouds as the trees - I was struck by how the grouped, puffy little clouds mimicked the grouped, puffy tops of the trees.

2 Bit Hack

Nice! Is this Oregon?
    Regards

Marty

Yes, near the town of Medford. We recently lost our air service where I live, and I've made five trips over there in the past month to drop people off or pick them up. I've taken my camera along each time, but I only photograph before picking up or after dropping off - there is nothing more excruciating for a non-photographer than waiting while a bumbling large format photographer does their thing!

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Of course! Alone or together, all different shapes and sizes, alive or dead, whole, or just a part, what's not like about trees?

Jeff and Andrew, thanks for your compliments on my image. Here's another one I made shortly after that one. It's as much about the delicate clouds as the trees - I was struck by how the grouped, puffy little clouds mimicked the grouped, puffy tops of the trees.

Excellent. I love the delicate tones and luminosity. It would have been easy to over manipulate this, but I think you nailed it.

Here's a recent one. Pine tree on a lava flow near Flagstaff. On 4x5 Acros.

Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ