Page 87 of 756 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187587 ... LastLast

Thread: post your trees!

Ted Mastrandonas

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    At first, when I saw this image, I thought it was a failure. It was not exactly what I had in my mind. But I worked on the image anyway, just trying to bring the best out of the negative. Gave it quite some time. And then I presented the result to my wife (my almost-ultimate judge) and she liked it very much. I kept looking at the image for some time too, and the more I look at it, the more I like it...

So passing this test I'll try to present it to you, and here more than usual, your reactions are appreciated:

Cherries by a Road

Chamonix 5×8", Schneider G-Claron 150mm, 4¾×6½" Wephota NP 15, Rodinal.

(btw. this is the lens that is for sale in this F/S thread here.)
    I think this really works. Just the other day I was "mining" my negatives and picked out two I originally considered rejects. I imagine that while looking for perfection I throw out too many. Do you think a thread for "Rejects" might be interesting? I've been too chicken to start it, but will if there's interest.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by tmastran View Post
    I think this really works. Just the other day I was "mining" my negatives and picked out two I originally considered rejects. I imagine that while looking for perfection I throw out too many. Do you think a thread for "Rejects" might be interesting? I've been too chicken to start it, but will if there's interest.
    Indeed, I've found a few that I thought were no good, and ended up liking them alot more after I hadn't seen them for a while! Heh, we've got that same sort of idal at work. When we finish a project and take a few days or a week off after the deadline crunch, when we get back the project usually looks better than when we left Just getting your eyes away from it for a time can put it in a different light when you look at it again later!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by tmastran View Post
    I really like this. The long shadows, the grass. A very inviting place.
    Thanks Daniel.Its actually the first tree I've ever done.I got inspired over trees recently after seeing some of John Sexton's work.Culver City, we are pretty much neighbors.I'm down here in OC.Are you going to go up to see Brett Westons show in SB?We are heading up there tommorow AM, and will hang out in LA on the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    At first, when I saw this image, I thought it was a failure. It was not exactly what I had in my mind. But I worked on the image anyway, just trying to bring the best out of the negative. Gave it quite some time. And then I presented the result to my wife (my almost-ultimate judge) and she liked it very much. I kept looking at the image for some time too, and the more I look at it, the more I like it...

So passing this test I'll try to present it to you, and here more than usual, your reactions are appreciated:

Cherries by a Road

Jim,

I smiled when I saw the image and before I read the text. Wanted to step into this one and walk down that road. Particularly like what looks like a small amount of movement in the branches and blossoms on the near left hand tree - an emotional print for me.

Chris.
    Chamonix 5×8", Schneider G-Claron 150mm, 4¾×6½" Wephota NP 15, Rodinal.

(btw. this is the lens that is for sale in this F/S thread here.)

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Culver City, we are pretty much neighbors.I'm down here in OC.Are you going to go up to see Brett Westons show in SB?We are heading up there tommorow AM, and will hang out in LA on the way back.
    No, I don't get out to see many galleries I work all day during the week (and often on the weekend too!), This weekend I'm taking Friday and Monday off to visit some friends in Nevada.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Big Bend

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    This is a multi row panorama, 9 frame stitch of a tree in my local park taken on my nodal ninja with my Pentax k20d as an experiment.Im out of work on disability right now and cannot afford to buy my 8x10 sheet film and PMK, so ones got to work with what ones got till times are better.Looks like Yosemite is out this year as well
    I like it. As the image was loading I was thinking it "looked like" HDR in gray scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forks View Post
    I like it. As the image was loading I was thinking it "looked like" HDR in gray scale.
    Thanks.Think of it as pre-exposure with N-2 development

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    It is remarkable how large some get and even more amazing that they could survive for two or three thousand years in some cases. Just consider what's happened in history during their life and what the probabilities are that it would or would not survive. There are so few old growth trees now.

Sounds like you're into a fun project. I'd love to see more of you work.
    It is amazing how they survive for such a long time. There are some great Oaks in Yosemite that I found on my last trip. I have about 15 images so far.

Thanks for your interest in my project. Here is another one. I'm not sure how long this Oak will survive. It is at the edge of a creek that in the spring runoff is a torrent. It is leaning severely and I'm glad I documented it before it is too late. I'm printing these in carbon so it takes a while to get them done.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    It is amazing how they survive for such a long time. There are some great Oaks in Yosemite that I found on my last trip. I have about 15 images so far.

Thanks for your interest in my project. Here is another one. I'm not sure how long this Oak will survive. It is at the edge of a creek that in the spring runoff is a torrent. It is leaning severely and I'm glad I documented it before it is too late. I'm printing these in carbon so it takes a while to get them done.

Jim
    Very nice image. I would love to see some of your carbon prints.

DD

Here's a quick and dirty scan from the neg. of the Angel Oak.