Thread: What is ..............

What is ..............

What is or what does the term "wet mounting" mean? I've heard it mentioned before but never knew what it is.

Re: What is ..............

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    What is or what does the term "wet mounting" mean? I've heard it mentioned before but never knew what it is.
    A more correct term is fluid mounting. It's a technique used in film scanning. Film is mounted to a flat plate (flat bed scanners, dedicated film scanners) or a curved drum (drum scanners) using a mounting fluid between the film and the mounting surface to stop Newton's Rings from forming. It has the added benefits of filling in scratches and lessening the appearance of film grain clumps or dye clouds in the scan.

Here's an example of how it might be done with a flat bed scanner.

Bruce Watson

Just waiting to be developed..

Re: What is ..............

Fluid mounting as Bruce said is great for reducing scratches and apparent grain.
    Depending on your model of flatbed scanner, you can purchase an accessory kit that will allow you to use the Kami scanner mounting fluid on your flatbed. Its a great way to extend the scanners functionality.
    Like drum scanning, it takes some getting used to but the people i know who use it, swear by it.

Aztek, the US importer for Kami products has a couple of demo on there site. www.aztek.com
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express