Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenses for 12x20

Lenses for 12x20

Hi, Alejandro - First off, I would start with one lens and see how it goes, then add others if the need arises. In my opinion - for many reasons - the banquet formats are at their best with wider lenses.

Regarding coverage, ignore those who say that, IN THEORY, this or that lens won't cover. Get it from the horse's mouth. Having said that, I can state that the 14" f/7.7 Goerz Dagor will cover the format with some (but not a lot) of movement. (And for most landscapes you won't need a lot of movement - just a little rear tilt for DOF, which doesn't eat up coverage.) Sharp, high contrast - I recommend it as a good "wide" 12x20 lens. Patrick Alt - who repairs these big cameras for a living and knows what he's talking about - says the Nikon 450M covers the format, and he recommends that lens. (There was a piece in View Camera by him about this a couple of years ago.)

The critical specification you are looking for is Image Circle, and in 12x20 the magic number is 585mm as an absolute minimum. Realize that most manufacturers list the circle of full illumination (i.e. NO mechanical vignetting) at f/16 or f/22, therefore these numbers are very conservative. You will usually shoot 12x20 at f/64, and will find many lenses that will cover even they are not "supposed" to. Listen to those with practical experience, or get the seller to give you a return privilage if the lens doesn't work for your format.

Good luck!

Lenses for 12x20

Hi Alejandro, Try to look up this shop in Holland, they have a G-Claron 477/6,5 , don't know the price, I saw it today. You have to write them because they won't have it on the site. http://www.fotoabro.nl Good luck Andrea Milano

Lenses for 12x20

Here ya go! Just what the Dr. ordered!

Lenses for 12x20

D'oh! the URL didn't take!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1215556743

Lenses for 12x20

So, what is everyone's guess on what this 19" Dagor will sell for?

Kevin Kolosky

Lenses for 12x20

This isn't the shopping forum, but I have an absolutely mint Rodenstock Klimsch APO ROnar 800 mm in barrel for sale that will have no problem covering. Its big and heavy, but won't cost you even close to what those others will cost, and it will perform. kevin

Lenses for 12x20

Mark Parsons refers to an article in "View Camera" where Patrick Alt recommends the 450mm Nikkor for 12X20. Mark (or anyone) can you look at the article and see if Mr. Alt goes into any detail on amount of coverage? Also, I agree with your point the "on paper" coverage may be less than what you get on film. If the upper corners of your image are sky, and the sharpness isn't perfect, will anyone notice? The great thing about newsgroups is having access to the real world experience of other people.

Lenses for 12x20

In answer to your question about 19" Dagors, they sell for $1800- 2100, and are hard but not very hard to find. Expect to add some $ to put one into an Ilex #5 shutter, unless it already is or you don't mind using it in a barrel. I recently bought a 19" Dagor from

http://www.photomall.com/gelens.htm

This place, Glennview Camera, still has one more listed in their inventory, and seemed perfectly pleasant to deal with. I'm having SK Grimes put it in an Ilex 5, which I also bought from Glennview. Lens and Repro occasionally has these lenses, and just sold one, I believe.

Good luck,

Nathan

Re: Lenses for 12x20

hi alejandro. my name is kate, and i am doing a project for my spanish class. i am 15 and need a conversation with a spanish-type photographer, and i would greatly appreciate it if you would let me ask you a few important questions. I really love your work, and although i dont know much about you, i would love to interview you for my project. Because your email adress is not available, you can email me at catalinachick13@verizon.net thank you so much for your time and i hope you agree to take part in my project to inform the students of my class of true talent. =)