Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy paint or epoxy types/sources for sink

Epoxy paint or epoxy types/sources for sink

I've searched the threads on this a bunch but i can't find many actual brands of epoxy paints and epoxies that i can get locally in Los Angeles. I've been to two places and they didn't have much to offer except for garage floor paint. I'm not interested in bed liner stuff or pvc sheeting. Some of the reocommended stuff like Pratt & Lambert Palgard isn't available here anymore for health reasons i guess.
    I've looked at the rustoleum 2 part garage floor coating kit and it states "not for wood"
    Have you guys had good luck with the garage floor epoxy paint? Is that what epoxy paint is?
    How about bondo brand epoxy that comes in the 1 gallon can for about $30?
    Thoughts on Coal Tar Epoxy?
    I'd rather go with something i can apply inside as my landlord doesn't know i'll be putting a 7' plywood sink in the apartment. I had to tear my other sink apart and its time for a new one.
    Any direct links to product pages would be helpful.

thanks
    vinny

Re: Epoxy paint or epoxy types/sources for sink

i had a roofing friend ohe had of mine come over and he brought some roofing material he called "one ply", something like a rubber sheet. after putting glue in the sink, and getting high, we cute the stuff to shape and size and laid it in. then he "welded the seams with a heat gun, thats been about 3 years ago and no leaks and works great. no drip leaks or puddles. he says this suff will last for 50 years on a roof. good luck

Vinny,
    try TAP Plastics, there should be one somewhere near you. I used their two part Marine Epoxy for my Darkroom sink (tinted gray and with wall to wall fiberglass cloth) It is messy to work with, but I have no fear of the sink ever springing a leak. If the floods come, I'll put a stopper in it and sail away.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

multiplex

i used fiberglass resin on mine.
    never had a problem.

I also recommend the West System stuff. I used it on my homemade plywood sink and it's now about 15 years old and has held up EXTREMELY well. It has mostly been used with alt process chemicals (pt.pd, gum, collodion) and these are probably harder on the sink than standard darkroom chemicals.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Go to a marine supplier and buy West Systems epoxy. Mixed it is very easily spread with a roller or brush. My sink is 19 years old and had only one re-coating.
    When I first built it I used 3 or 4 coats one day apart. They also make a carbon powder which can be mixed in to make a black sink, and a filleting material for thickening in the corners.

Okay, west systems is made in Michigan so i may go that route. It looks like Marina Del Ray is the closest marine dealer. TAP doesn't have stores down here. I need to cover 32sq ft. I'm looking at 1 qt. 105-A for resin and 206-A slow hardener in for about $50 total. Their guide says 1 qt will do about 100sq ft for first coat and 125 for second. Two coats and some extra for the deep sink washing area sounds good right?
    Will a one quart kit do it?
    Did you guys caulk the seams afterwords or is that not necessary?

Marine epoxy paint ( 2 part) works fine as mentioned above. Make sure your plywood seams are tight (no cracks) before painting. Get rid of sanding dust. When you apply the epoxy it will start to bead thicker in the corner joints as the number of layers increase. I use four layers initially then about every 5 to 8 years steel wool the surface and re-coat with two additional layers. Ocassionally clean the surface with comet cleaner if stains bother you.

Nate Potter

David Vickery

My favorite epoxy is Envirotex Lite Pour-on. Ace Hardware sells it and the company is based in California. It is easy to mix, easy to use and doesn't smell as bad as some others that I have tried.
    I have used other types of epoxy and the only type that I would ever use again is the kind that comes in two equal parts--this makes for much easier mixing. I have never used West Systems but suspect that since their products are used extensively in boat building they would be a excellent.

I built a couple of three foot by eight foot sinks with plywood and applied a couple of coats of the envirotex lite and have never had an issue with the sinks. I did not bother with fiberglass, and think that it is unnecessary if the construction is solid enough. In the first two sinks that I built years ago I used Fiberglass and hated it and the sinks.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery