Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SHEN HAO 4x5 wooden camera: Love at first sight!

SHEN HAO 4x5 wooden camera: Love at first sight!

I forgot to thank John as well, I apologize for it and many thanks to him too!

Just to comment on the issue of Chinese manufacturing, for all those doubting the quality standards of Chinese products. It is the manufacturer of the product that sets the quality standard - not China. As Geoffrey pointed out - there are many excellent products such as Nike and NorthFace being produced in China to the highest standards. For all those out there thinking that it's Chinese shit...beware, it wasn't too long ago that Japanese products were once labelled "Japanese Junk".

Andrea,

"Somehow I don't quite understand your remark about the back which cannot be moved back but I will investigate a little further before I say anything foolish about it"

I apologize for not making it clear. When I said that the back standard can not be moved backward, it means that this camera is a double extension design, not a triple extension design like Lotus, Canham, and Deardorff.

Regarding the Polaroid and Fuji Quickload film holders, you can insert the film holders into the camera back, but your image area is NOT centered (off by about 2 mm) towards your right if you are facing your subject. This is due to a physical blockage of the back which prevents the film holders to be placed at its proper position. This might not be a real problem for a lot of people, but it does not meet my standards. Furthermore, I don't think you can insert a Grafmatic film holder into the back. Lotus Rapid view 4x5 has the same problem, as discussed above.

I'm not surprised at all that you have found similarities between Shen Hao and Horseman. I have checked with my sources (i. e. B+H Photo equipment buyers) and was assured that the Horseman Woodman 4x5 is made in Japan. I Don't believe people would pay $1000 for that piece of "Japanese junk"! No wonder someone told me that he can sell Shen Hao for over a thousand bucks. Well, that's beyond the topic. If you have owned a Wista and/or Linhof, I bet you will also find some similarities. I guess that Mr. Chang just copied some functionalities from those cameras he knows, and I don't think there are any legal issues here. Look at Mr. Mike Walker's products, do you see anything familiar? Cheers,

Dear Geoffrey, I guess similarities are unavoidable but in the case of the Woodman and the Shen Hao the similarities are more than just that. However it is a simple camera and its price might rise a few eyebrows. Price, though, is a complex issue and I know all too well that a camera like the Shen Hao which costs around $500 plus can end up, after paying import taxes, shipping costs, airport and courier handling fees, Bank fees, VAT.; add a small profit upon which you'll pay income tax.......and the camera ends up costing a $1000! Tell me about it!!!!!

this is a wonderful site for lf lover. i am a singaporean and flying to shanghai to buy this 45 camera. singapore selling a woodman at sin$3500. and i will fly there to pay only sin$1000. will post a report when i have test shoot this camera.

I am extremely interested in an alternative to either a Tachihara, Horeman Woodman, Arca-Swiss Discovery, or Calumet Cadet. Especially if the price approaches the $500 level. I doubt that we could get something that cheap, but even if under $1000, I will love to see it.

After searching the web for some time I found the website of the company: http://www.shen-hao.com It describes the products offered in greater detail. I sent a request for a price list to the address given their and received today, after one week, the answer from Seagull. (Unfortunatly it doesn't list the rollfilm holder. Does anybody know for how much this goes?)

The list claims the metall used is plated (Titanium or Chrome) Copper.

I have the option to ask a friend to bring me this camera from Beijing this summer. Can I expect significant savings from this or is ordering directly from Seagull in Shanghai the way to go?

I have recently (11.1.01) had a friend in China contact the Shen-Hao factory, to inquire about purchases directly from the factory. He orginally contacted the largest camera store in Beijing, but they directed him to the factory. Apparentl y the upper-end 4x5 the HZX-45 II, sells for Y3800 ~US$460. Extras are:

bag bellows Y540 ($65) 6x12mm film holder Y1800 ($218) lens hood Y750 ($91) hood for focusing screen Y350 ($42) lens boards Y150 ($18)

The low-end 4x5, the GJ45, sells for Y3000 ($363)

The HZX810, a full featured 8x10 sells for Y7980 ($966)

Note that all of these cameras also have a "export" price, which is $25 more for the HZX-45 II. Same camera but with export tax. If you purchase the camera in China it is without the tax. This is all the information I have at the moment. When I have more I will post it.

I have been playing with my new Shen-Hao HZX-IIA for a few weeks now, and can make a few comments which may or may not be useful for others who are considering purchasing one. I had a friend order camera, bag bellows, and case directly from the factory in Shanghai. Prices are noted in my previous post. After examining and using the camera, I am very happy. For the price, the HZX-IIA is truly an excellent camera, much better (IMHO) than the Tachihara, which is the only other new camera available in the price range. I think the camera compares well with the Wista. The Shen-Hao has better movements, but the Wista appears more "beautiful" or flashier (for whatever that is worth). While in general I really like the camera, there are several aspects of the camera I don?t like:

1. The bag bellows is a bit too stiff for my liking. 2. The graflock back, which while functional, appears flimsy. I may build a new one using a graflock from a speed-graphic 3. The Shen-Hao lensboards (Technika style) are really junky--best off using other brands, such as Wista, Linhof or Nikon. 4. For a small fee I had a spirit level installed on the rear standard. The fact ory installed a very small ?bulls-eye? type bubble, which is almost too small to be useful. In addition, it was improperly attached-I had to glue it in myself. 5. It is, for a wooden field camera, quite heavy.

Again, I am really quite happy with the camera, and would recommend it to any photographer on a budget. Note also that Badger Graphic (http:// www.badgergraphic.com) is selling the Shen-Hao for a reasonable price.