Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compact dark cloth for traveling

Re: Compact dark cloth for traveling

I usually use a jean jacket but, I also have a simple piece of black corduroy cloth - about a meter square. Neither is optimal but both work.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
    A T Shirt? To go with my Rodenstock APO Sironar lenses? Isn't there something more expensive that I can buy? To spend so little is disorienting. David
    Well you could buy a $700 Armani t-shirt, if that helps.
    Amund

Baxter

This new versatile and high quality product deserves a mention. It is waterproof, windproof, breathable, lightweight and low volume.

Paramo darkcloth

It has been developed by Joe Cornish and David Ward, two of the UK's most prominent LF landscape photographers. The design process was quite extensive working with the manufacturer.

I have had one for a couple of months now and am very happy with it. On misty mornings, I use it unzipped to minimise condensation from my breath, otherwise, zipped up works brilliantly. When zipped up, there are two options for diameter, I prefer the wider option having tried both.

My compact solution for 4x5" is just to use the folding focusing hood and fresnel on my Linhof Tech V, a hat if I need more shade, and a jacket if I need more.

I use a black T-shirt as well.

I can second Baxter's recommendation for the Paramo dark cloth. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but its already proven its capabilities. I had struggled with using coats and tried the very light but flappy Ebony cloth, but can now easily see where to set the grad filter when stopped down to f22+ with the Paramo. The adjustable neck fills in the gap at the bottom of the Ebony rear standard OK.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Amund BLix Aaeng View Post
    Well you could buy a $700 Armani t-shirt, if that helps.
    Amund, I feel much better now...

Jonathan and Baxter, the Paramo cloth is interesting. I do like the water resistent qualities. How much does it weigh and packed dimensions? Does is come in some sort of stuff sack? Cheers. David

Another recommendation for the BlackJacket. Comes in various sizes is lightweight, well designed, packs in a stuff sack. I show them off at all our workshops. BTZS cloths are another option (from the View Camera Store). The Paramo looks interesting but at £80 the price would be heart stopping in the US and even the price in the UK seems sort of high. Black Jackets run in the range of $50 to $70 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Another recommendation for the BlackJacket. Comes in various sizes is lightweight, well designed, packs in a stuff sack. I show them off at all our workshops. BTZS cloths are another option (from the View Camera Store). The Paramo looks interesting but at £80 the price would be heart stopping in the US and even the price in the UK seems sort of high. Black Jackets run in the range of $50 to $70 IIRC.

I also recommend the BlackJacket. I have been using a BlackJacket in 5X7 size for several years and recently got one in 7X17 size for testing. I favor the very lightweight one, can not remember if this is the hybrid version? The one for 5X7 folds into a very compact package and weighs almost nothing. It is also very easy to use.

Very economical and a pleasure to use.

Sandy King